Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check engine light

I have an '01 4.6. I recently just changed the spark plugs and COP's, all with Motorcraft. My question is I noticed my "Service Engine Soon" light would always come on and then go off at start up, like the air bag light and some others. Now, it does not come on at all at start up. There is nothing happening with the truck, but could this be a bad bulb, or something bigger? If it could be a fuse, what fuse would it be?

Old 07-21-2007, 11:21 AM
The Check engine light is supposed to come on when you start..

To check the bulb, turn the key to 'Run' while holding down the Odometer Reset switch, and don't let go of the switch until it reads "Test"

then, press the button a few times until it reads "Bulb". It should be right after the Gauge test.

This will illuminate most of the bulbs, the pretty important ones. If the Check Engine Light isnt on, you have a bad bulb.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:23 AM
Thank you Steve. I figured that is what it may be, but I wanted to make sure before giving myself ssome extra work.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Ok, just got done testing the bulbs by holdiing the ****. All the lights came on, including the check engine light. Any more ideas on the cause? Also, is there somewhere I could get a printout of what all those codes that pop up on the odometer are? At least the ones that aren't common sense?

Old 07-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by adamcardona17
Ok, just got done testing the bulbs by holdiing the ****. All the lights came on, including the check engine light. Any more ideas on the cause? Also, is there somewhere I could get a printout of what all those codes that pop up on the odometer are? At least the ones that aren't common sense?

I've posted it before, probably on this site.

SEARCH for "HEC* dealer test mode". Google it if you have to....

Steve

Old 07-22-2007, 07:05 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
My 98 doesn't have that test mode, prolly because it's not digital . I just pulled the cluster and checked all of mine .

The run position alone checks the "check engine light" (MIL) in my truck.

Quick Reply: Check engine light