Edelbrock Carb worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 02:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edelbrock Carb worth it?

Hey guys i got a a 79 fi150 with a 460. Now im not sure correct me if im wrong but most of them came with a a 600 cfm carb. Mines a holley. Now i was wondering i have a buddy thats gettin a new carb a selling his edelbrock 600 or 650 cfm carb for lik 80 can dollars. Would it be worth it to purchase it like the price is right but will i see any difference in performance. i Think its teh street legal electric choke one. Now juist say the carb in my truck which is stock is a 650 if i put a 600 edelbrock in there would it run more efficient and with more power even though its smaller just becasue of new desighn. If any one can help me or give advise that woould be awsomec becasue like its a dam good deal it seems like.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:15 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Generally a smaller carb would give better throttle response but reduce WOT power some amount.
Reason is for the better throttle response, the airflow speed is faster at picking fuel out of the bowl and atomizing it a bit better.
At WOT the airflow is more restricting from the lower ability of the carb to pass air in large volume to a large displacement at hi rpm, like you have.
Another thing is to be sure the jetting is proper for your engine as it may have come off a different size engine and it's requirements.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:19 AM
Edelbrock Carb

Go for it. They are very dependable compared to Holley. I switched over to them 15 years ago. Youll need to buy a tuning kit and probably richen it up to match the 460s needs, but once you got it dialed it, its good for several years. I had bought a used Carter 625cfm(same as Edelbrock) rebuilt it for a 400M and never had any problems for 8 years. Then I sold the truck.

Good luck,
Rob

Old 05-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran an Edelbrock on every FE motor I built. At one time I thought Holley was the only way to go, but the Edelbrocks impressed me. The later styles use a metering rod type of adjustment which is much better than the old Holley type for fuel metering (adjusting). I was surprised in that you could actually remove the top of the carb (Edelbrock) while the vehicle was running.
I had either a 600cfm, or a 650cfm on a very heavily modified 428CI that was laying down 475+hp and it was more than enough to provide the results I was looking for... I say go for it....

Old 05-24-2007, 09:07 AM
cool

right on guys thx a lot really aprreciate it. Im def going for it ahha all i needed was some ppl to agree with me ahhaha. Just a littler scared with the size of the carb and the engine size but if u were running a 429 were in the same ballpark. And i really love edelbrock stuff.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Carb worth it?