how much cfm for an e-fan?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much cfm for an e-fan?

Been thinking of adding a 'kit' to my 03 Ex to help w/ AC cooling and mpgs. I have read several posts of folks getting e-fans from local auto parts stores, and doing the install a la carte w/ controllers, switches etc. I'm sure I could do all that. What I am dubious about though is the quality of the fan itself.

How much CFM's does one need per fan? The FAL kits pull something like 2000 cfm's per fan for the 14" universal kit, total of about 4600 or so for both fans. When I read the ratings for some of the other fans they are usually in the low 1100-1400 or somewhere in there.

My question is, are these other fans good quality (Procomp is one that comes to mind), and is a lower cfm rating ok for the main fan to cool the engine, with the second fan coming on for the AC?

I'd love to get the fAL kit, but the best I can find it for is 380 or so. I read posts where people are doing their own for $150 or less, sometimes scrounging a fan from a junkyard! Not sure I want to trust my ExpensiveExpedition to a junkyard fan, ya know?

any thoughts on fan quality and rating are appreciated.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Take a look at Flex-a-lite fans;there is some tech data there.
If you do a thread search on this forum,you will see a wealth of info on do's & don'ts.
Good luck.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Been looking at the FAl and other sites. guess I'm looking for some 'spec' flow rate on these 4.6l engines with tranny coolers. Looking at the suppliers websites, you get the idea that anything goes - FAL and SPAL seem like the best fans w/ highest CFM's (and their fan blade designs are different from S-curve designs of others). While many others sell the lower CFM fans and they seem "adequate".

Just wondering if there is real factory spec air flow needed so as to truly judge the proper air flow design of one of these guys.

Quick Reply: how much cfm for an e-fan?