Do prorgamers really work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do prorgamers really work?

I have a 2001 5.4 supercab, is it worth buying one of these? Why are the factory settings not good enough? what will i notice most with getting a programmer? sorry for the dumb questions, just a little leary is all.

Why does ford set the different settings like they are? thanks Ron

Old 04-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Do programmers really work???
It depends..
If you want better gas mileage, then they work a little. I picked up about 3 mpg over stock if I keep my foot out of it. But what's the FUN in that! They will get you between 15 to 30 more horse power and more torque. Which is good for pulling boats, trailers and away from Chevys. But remember if you get a programmer you might as well complete the package and also get dual catbacks and a cold air intake.

Have FUN!!!

Old 04-17-2007, 09:14 PM
I was skeptical as well. Best 400 bucks I ever spent on any truck. Very noticable improvment in accelleration, transmission shifts quicker and firmer and I get better gas milage. My truck is only mildly modded. Magnaflow 3" SI/SO catback, K&N drop in filter, Troyer custom tunes. I get better milage with 10 ply tires than I was getting with 4 ply tires before the mods. Average 14 MPG around town and about 19 on the hiway with the 87 Oct tune. Mike Troyer is the man in my book. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
definately makes the truck totally different than stock. Lots more power and better milage. Ford set the computer the way it did for emision resons mainly. Also ford sets things to please the largest share of it's buyers. A lot of buyers just want a smooth shifting and quiet comfortable truck. But if you tow much at all the programer will make things a lot better.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:00 AM
TNC
As a manufacturer, Ford has to meet all kinds of fleet standards for both mileage and EPA requirements, not to mention countless different driving habits. To do that, they write software that will cover almost all situations. A programmer could really be called an optimizer. Given enough parameters, a custom tune will create a programming scheme or strategy. Do they work? Yes. Are they worth it? I think so. I thought my '04 Screw 4X4 was a huge timid dog until I put tunes on it. I always recommend tuning. It's that much fun, especially on the newer trucks with the 'fly by wire' throttle. My buddy has a Dodge, and has the same hesitation that so many of the 04+ guys on here complain about. He won't get a tuner. He's afraid to mess with it. Too bad for him.....

Old 04-18-2007, 02:48 AM
sweet to read this, i just grabbed a 04 with 5.4 and i can't wait to pick one up!

Quick Reply: Do prorgamers really work?