Coolant Leak alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Leak alternatives

Ok, I don't actually have a f150. I do have an e150 with the 5.4 engine though. My van developed this coolant leak from the back right corner of the lower intake manifold. the leak is where the tube with a 90 bend in it mates with the intake manifold. I took some pics and showed them to the ford dealer and they want $1900 to replace the intake manifold. OUCH!!!

Are there any other alternatives. I was wondering if it's possible to drill out the tube, tap in some threads and replace it with another fitting.

Does anyone have any experience with this tube. I believe it goes to the heater core inlet.

Thanks for the ideas.

Jay

Old 04-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Plastic or aluminum intake? Is it the hose leaking, or the joint between the hose nipple & the intake?

Old 04-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Sorry I tried to add a picture of it but I couldn't quite figure out how. The intake manifold is definately not plastic, so it must be aluminum then. And it's the joint that leaks. The tube coming out is also metal, aluminum perhaps.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jay
98 ford e150 triton 5.4L

Old 04-17-2007, 10:31 PM
leaking tube

i cut mine off above a small pin hole i had in it and put nscrew clamps on it. lasted a year and rusted again. the i pulled the intake and had it rapped as you stated. you may could dom it in the van but you would get metal in there. getting the old tube out was a pain. good luck

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak alternatives