300 question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300 question

Sorry if this is a repeat for some but wanted to be sure and get as much advise as possible, so I put this in the pre 97 section also.

Let me give a brief background then ask the question.
My 81 has the 300 w/ 2bbl carb of course. New rings, bearings, gaskets and crank was turned about 40,000 miles ago @ 130,000 miles, 10 yrs ago.
The truck set for about 3 yrs on the farm and was only driven around the farm until the brakes stuck.
Last year I took it and had a tune up, remanufactured carb and a complete brake overhaul (except master cylinder/booster as they were only a few yrs old).
This thing has had some valve or rocker noise for a while but it now sounds like a diesel. The gas milage went from tolerable to crap 8-10 mpg est. in the last year. The smog stuff has been gone since I rebuilt the motor (cant find it anymore best I can tell). I know this hurts milage but its still progressively getting worse. Any thing else I can do to get better milage? Will replacing or adjusting the rockers/valves to quieten this thing down help with the mpg??

My other question is who has swapped to the 302? I know it doesnt have the grunt the 300 has but I dont haul/pull anything really heavy. Any one went to a fuel injected motor in one of these old truck? If so, how big a pain.
This is my grandfathers truck and I have more in restoring it than its worth but I want to keep it..preferably with the 300. Thought I would ask before I go to my local repair place and present them with it. I know they wanna make $$$.

Many thanks for the help!

Old 04-10-2007, 10:30 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Only thing I can do is ask leading questions and comment.
The valve train noise is probably the results for oil starvation, lack of enough oil pressure, blockages etc.
OIl not changes often enough etc.
What is the running oil pressure?
What emissions items were removes and how good a job was done to address all items?
It's difficult to be of specific help not knowing these things.
I get the feeling a butcher job was done on the motor as a short cut way of getting around some costs.
Not mean to be insulting but unless things are done in a reasonable way, these are the results.
Good luck.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the smog stuff was in such a shape as it was not working. So the guy that helped me (who has worked on everyones car back home in the community with no complaints) said it would use a little more gas but all that stuff didnt have to be in place. The smog pump had locked up and most of the small lines were dry rotted...thats best I recall from 1995 or 1996.
I worked making 5.50 an hour back then so funds were limited but I bought an engine rebuild kit from NAPA (Rings, bearings, gaskets, new oil pump, and probably something I am forgetting). I had the crank turned at a machine shop because it had to be. We then put it all back together and it has ran like a top. A while passed and the chattering began. Still broke, I couldnt afford to have it looked at. Truck runs good so I just pressed on.
Then I bought a new truck on 2002 and the ford got parked with the intent of restoring it as I had the money....a police officer and then deputy sheriff salary didnt allow for anything still yet...truck was ran on the farm till brakes stuck as was mentioned in my initial post. Fast forward to last year, got a new job working for uncle sam and actually have $$$.
No butcher job, just left smog stuff off. Rebuilt the motor (freshened up I guess). The pistons were good, no need to hone or bore actually.
The oil pressure is good according to the guage..although truck is old...guage could be faulty. Noise has progressively gotten worse and gas milage has progessively gone down..last year quite drastically. I take great care of my vehicles and the oil has been changed every 3000 miles, all but what time it was ran on the farm. As soon as I put it back on the road the stuff I mentioned in my earlier post was done before I even tagged and insured it.
So given I dont abuse the truck and it was freshened all but the head and valves..I figure this is whats making noise as well as sounds like it..no knocking...rattle or peck would better describe it I guess. No offense taken, I know not everyone does a good job or takes care of their stuff...not the case here.
SO now that I wrote another book..anyone got any useful info or advise??

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: 300 question