What's up with the 5.4L spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation What's up with the 5.4L spark plugs

I'm in the process of changing my plugs. A 5/8" spark plug socket would not fit, but a 15mm socket would. This metric insert came out but the plug will not. What's going on here? How do I get the plugs out? Any ideas? 2004 F150 FX4 5.4L engine. Guess since I'm still a junior member, I don't have access to attach pictures. What's the deal with the cylindrical liner inside the hole on the head? What's the easiest way to pull it out so I put a plug socket on the plug? This is a first for me. There was a 15mm insert that went over the plug, my guess is to hold the liner in the hole in, with that removed the liner still doesn't come out to be able to place a plug socket on the plug. WTF is going on??????????????/

TurbineDave

Last edited by TurbineDave; 04-09-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:20 PM
Hello, it takes a 9/16 inch socket. do a search and u will find alot on changing these plugs. not fun?

Old 04-09-2007, 10:33 PM
I got the 9/16" (15mm) part of the plug?? to back off, but the plug is still in the head. It acts like it's screwed in like a typical plug past the metal insert in the hole. The insert looks like a liner on the inner wall of the head for the spark plug. I have pictures of what I'm dealing with but can't post due to being a JR. mem. ( Does this liner need to come out somehow?

Old 04-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes, the liner needs to come out. There is a TSB for this and a special tool. Now that your that far you don't have a choice but to get the tool. That or you have to pull the head off to fix it. There are updated spark plugs to put back in that are better. Please tell me what brand of fuel you have been using? I have a theory I am trying to get a handle on.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chris1450
Please tell me what brand of fuel you have been using? I have a theory I am trying to get a handle on.
theory???? if it helps I use BP/chevron (best around) 93octane.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by chris1450
yes, the liner needs to come out. There is a TSB for this and a special tool. Now that your that far you don't have a choice but to get the tool. That or you have to pull the head off to fix it. There are updated spark plugs to put back in that are better. Please tell me what brand of fuel you have been using? I have a theory I am trying to get a handle on.
Chris,
I decided to put it all back together and let the dealership handle this one. I have 100000+ miles on this truck. After I read a thread where at least one plug breaks in the alumiun head with many miles. I decided to let them fix it since they have all the necessary tools. I usually run super grade Exxon/Mobil the majority of my time. Rarely do I use Racetrack, Conoco, or Citco. If I'm working in an area where Exxon/Mobil is available, then I try to find another large gas company station to use.

TurbineDave

Old 04-09-2007, 11:33 PM
Will the dealership swap the plugs over to one that can be changed by us? I purchased the coil packs and platinum plugs this morning on my way in from work. Guess, I'll be taking them back and getting a $400+ credit (to use at the dealership)

Quick Reply: What's up with the 5.4L spark plugs