Timing Chain Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Timing Chain Question

My buddy's 99 F150 just started to make a knocking noise at higher RPM's. It has a 5.4 with 180K on it. Problem is while accelerating engine runs and sounds fine till RPM's hit from 3 grand and up. At 3 grand there is a knocking noise equal to the RPM of the motor. I thought maybe it was a rod bearing, but to my understanding, a rod bearing would cause a knock all the time. I was sitting on the fan shrould and revved the engine, and when RPM's were around 3 grand I heard the knock. But it was from the front of the engine, around the timing cover. Can a worn timing chain be the problem, or is it a rod bearing?

Old 04-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like rod bearing to me. try disconecting one injector at a time and try to duplicate noise. it should get alot quieter in the cylinder that is affected when injector is unplugged.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... I had a rod bearing go in my 5.4. It sounded just like that. Quite at idle and low RPM's. Increase RPM's and the knock would get louder as RPM increased.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks guys, you confirmed what I hoped wasn't the problem, haha. Guess I'll tell him to save up, get a motor or rebuild kit and ALOT of beer, and get ready for a long weekend in the garage!!

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Question