Coil Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coil Replacement

Hi, I have a 98 f-150 with a 5.4l engine and 150,000 miles on it. Every once and a while when its hot and I have just started it, it seems to miss and stumble, but as soon as I rev it up a bit its fine. I have put through some seafoam and injector cleaner, but was wondering if it would be worth buying a new set of COP's from the dealer on ebay for $96?? I have heard that the coils will get weak over time, just not too sure if its worth it, or if these coils are any good. Any help is appreciated. thanks.

Jaret

Old 04-02-2007, 11:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yep , change em. Those are good coils that global sells.

Search - "COP's Deal" In the engines forum..

Old 04-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM vs. Aftermarket

I have read a few places that the coils should be replaced with Motorcraft parts and not aftermarket coils. Has anyone found this to be the case? I have been having bad misfire problems. I had a misfire code for cylinder 8 with 90,000 miles on the truck. I went ahead and bought spark plugs and a coil ($50) from Advanced Auto. Replaced all plugs and COP on cyl #8. Problem did not go away. Waited about a week and the engine light came on again, pulled the code this time and it said cylinder misfire on #3 & #8. I figured since I already did the plugs I will change all the coils as long as I am in there. Please let me know if anyone has experienced any problems with non-Motorcraft coils. I need to purchase today because the mis-fire is bad. Also the Engineer who designed the connection that clips onto the coil should be shot.

Quick Reply: Coil Replacement