COP's

Old 03-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COP's

I suspect I have a bad COP, but my truck has not threw the engine light on yet. Is there a way to test the coils to see which one is bad? Does it hurt the truck to drive it with a bad coil?

Old 03-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_Flunky
I suspect I have a bad COP, but my truck has not threw the engine light on yet. Is there a way to test the coils to see which one is bad? Does it hurt the truck to drive it with a bad coil?
Fraid not , Well there's not an easy way unless you have Primary and Secondary failures but, if that were the case you would definitly have a light.

The only way is to force a light by pushing the motor hard when it's missing , right when it starts to act up. The other way is to go to the dealer and have them hook up to the computer and scan w/mode 6 for cylinder history readings.

I found it cost effective and definitly worth $96 to purchase a new set of COP's off ebay..That's what most of us do..

Old 03-29-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the response jbrew.

Are the cop's hard to change?

Will the engine be hurt if I drive it until the cop's come in?

Have you had good luck with the cop's off ebay?

Old 03-29-2007, 03:58 PM

Yeah , I've purchased for friends and they still use them without problems and plenty of people here have purchased from Kevin @ Global Automotive .

COP's are easy to swap out..

Old 03-29-2007, 04:01 PM

Old 03-29-2007, 04:07 PM
I am ordering them now. Are these hard to change?

Old 03-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Will any of the cop's they have work for a 2000 F-150?

Old 03-29-2007, 04:39 PM

Yeah , there pretty interchangable , but heres a list of trucks they fit -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-F...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 03-29-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks for all your help Jbrew. I really appreciate it. Do you have to remove the fuel rail to get the cop's out?

Old 03-29-2007, 11:26 PM
Why do you want to change them? Unless you have a code, you're just wasting your money..... IMO

Old 03-29-2007, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by chester8420
Why do you want to change them? Unless you have a code, you're just wasting your money..... IMO

What's up Chester

My 98 wasn't missing at all by the time I received a set of new COPs for mine.

I swapped them out anyway and it woke my engine up quite a bit , when there old they get weak and effect performance . In my case allot , so , it's not a waste IMHO . It runs better and Imagine milage improves as well..

Old 03-29-2007, 11:54 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
There are certain faults that won't result in a cel lamp or a set code.
One example is a 'seeming' miss at between 1000 and 1800 rpm under light load only (low throttle openings).
The worst case is total momentary cutout but seldom happens.
This never results in a code and can't be 'persuade' to generate one.
What is it, is anybodies guess at this point.
The plugs have been changed, starts and idle perfect, pulls a full load without missing, EGR, EVR, injector cleaner , different gas, cps, cmp sensore/cable have all been looked cloely at for intermittants, etc have all been gone thru and still looking for the cause.
It may be coils but they don't fit the way the fault shows it'self.
Truck is totally reliable and not bad enough to cause any real problem to drive.
I have yet to ever see anyone with the answer to this but have seen some cases that discribe the problem as close to the same.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:25 AM

It is a mystery somewhat (to actual data), I heard someone earlier descibing the way there truck was running . They described - it's as thow the brakes were dragging , but they wern't . That's how I would describe mine when I was running with COPs that had over 160,000 miles on them - well, more than half of my COPs at the time had that kind of mileage..

After changing them all at once the truck didn't have that heavy feeling and was more responsive. The plugs were changed befroe hand and ran with the old and then the new COP's .. I did use a different boot, but greased everthing up the same .. I think it's soley the coils failing partially, as you noted they tend to do , generating a miss under a load without producing a light. But IMHO- Before they get to that point and create that miss, they can get weak enough to effect fuel economy, performance, etc..

Last edited by jbrew; 03-30-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
What's up Chester

My 98 wasn't missing at all by the time I received a set of new COPs for mine.

I swapped them out anyway and it woke my engine up quite a bit , when there old they get weak and effect performance . In my case allot , so , it's not a waste IMHO . It runs better and Imagine milage improves as well..

I'm glad it worked for you. Maybe a new set of coils would fix his too. It won't hurt it to try, and you'll have 8 spares when you're through. I've thought about changing mine, but my engine runs fine. It gets SUCKY gas mileage, (that's been worse lately) but it still runs fine.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
There are certain faults that won't result in a cel lamp or a set code.
One example is a 'seeming' miss at between 1000 and 1800 rpm under light load only (low throttle openings).
The worst case is total momentary cutout but seldom happens.
This never results in a code and can't be 'persuade' to generate one.
What is it, is anybodies guess at this point.
The plugs have been changed, starts and idle perfect, pulls a full load without missing, EGR, EVR, injector cleaner , different gas, cps, cmp sensore/cable have all been looked cloely at for intermittants, etc have all been gone thru and still looking for the cause.
It may be coils but they don't fit the way the fault shows it'self.
Truck is totally reliable and not bad enough to cause any real problem to drive.
I have yet to ever see anyone with the answer to this but have seen some cases that discribe the problem as close to the same.
Sounds like an injector problem to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: COP's