Truck has no balls

Old 03-28-2007, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck has no *****

Ok...recently my truck has been lacking in the power departmant. It barely has even enough power to spin the tires in the rain and even that is only for a few seconds with the pedal to the floor. It's a 2003 4.6L 4x4. It feels like the trans is shifting too soon or it's trying to engage 2 gears at once...has anyone ever experienced that? Also i plugged in my code reader and went to the sensor display screen an i noticed at idle the TPS is at 20%....shouldn't this be 0%? also full throttle only reads 93.3%. Could i have a bad TPS and maybe thats causing my trans to act funny? Please help cause this is really starting to **** me off.

Thanks
Kevin

Last edited by silver2003FX4; 03-28-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Maybe your throttle cable is stretched out, or you have a bad TPS, that would explain why those numbers are off. Maybe Bluegrass could enlighten us both.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:13 PM
Old 03-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
HAHAA - I was waiting for someone to post that -

Last edited by jbrew; 03-28-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:40 PM
yeh if the TPS isnt reading properly than ur transmission will shift funny also.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
I don't know about percentages but the factory service disc specifies voltages at KOEO, hot idle and several road speeds.
The range is not really tight because the PCM does a self zero refernce each time starting the engine. This accounts for all the normal changes in conditions that are likely to occurr over time and temp.
Unless the TPS is really bad it finds it's own refernece each time and would set a fault code if the TPS is to far away from the nominal limits.
Right now your feeling is only subjective about what you expect from the truck.
The next day it could change with temp and fuel quality.
I for one, could not, at this time see any reference on what is not satisfacory performance except by what you feel.
Just an opinion overall.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yeah , when my TPS went out i was 150 miles from the house on the exspressway - the light came on right away and the freaking truck downshifted screeeming the freakin RPMs - then upshifting again into OD at 35 mph.. . I found an auto zone quick - glad they were open on a Sunday..

Last edited by jbrew; 03-28-2007 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:36 PM
I was just trying to get an idea just from looking at the scanner data. The TPS never goes below 20%....when i say never i mean not today not yesterday and probably not tomorrow. Now the scanner calls it ABSLT TPS. So i'm wondering if that includes the IAC amount as well. All i know is my truck is so slow now it feels like i'm riding the parking brake and i'm afraid to keep driving it but my other car is still not back together yet so i have no choice. Guess i'll just voltage check the TPS and go from there.

Kevin

Old 03-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
HAHAA - I was waiting for someone to post that -

I hope it's not a driver issue........

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-29-2007, 10:55 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
You never made mention of scanning for code.
There are a lot of reasons the truck would feel lazy.
Intake air failures, exhaust blockage, trans issues.
Brake drag.
Until these areas are looked at and eliminated, you have no way to begin judging what is affecting performance.
Start by kicking the trans out of gear and coasting. What does it feel like?
Today, I ticked off 141 miles round trip on 7.7 gallons of gas top off to top off of the tank, one passenger.. Nothing dragging on my truck. I will be making the trip again only farther and with special effort to max the mileage. I bet I can get it over 19 this time.
No mods to the motor, only difference is BOSCH plugs that everybody hates so much and are no good. #6241

Old 03-29-2007, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
AWESOME!

Old 04-02-2007, 10:56 PM
well i found out the problem by accident. went to have the oil changed and when i started the truck after filling the oil i noticed the motor stopped ticking but then the guy told me to shut it off. After a couple minutes i asked the guy if i could start it again and have him listen for the tick. when i started the truck i heard a loud POW and saw my coil pack shoot out of the cylinder head. My driver side rear spark plug came out of the cylinder. The theads were too messed up to put the plug back in so now i'm gonna try and run a thread chaser and hope i don't need to replace the cylinder head

wish me luck

kevin

Old 04-03-2007, 12:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by silver2003FX4
well i found out the problem by accident. went to have the oil changed and when i started the truck after filling the oil i noticed the motor stopped ticking but then the guy told me to shut it off. After a couple minutes i asked the guy if i could start it again and have him listen for the tick. when i started the truck i heard a loud POW and saw my coil pack shoot out of the cylinder head. My driver side rear spark plug came out of the cylinder. The theads were too messed up to put the plug back in so now i'm gonna try and run a thread chaser and hope i don't need to replace the cylinder head

wish me luck

kevin
ouchies man. i think most people like the helicoil or whatever?

Old 04-03-2007, 12:23 PM
SUCCESS...Helicoiled the spark plug hole and the truck runs like a champ again. The bigest problem was getting the tap into the hole. The spark plug repair kit came with a tap that had a 3/4 hex at the end and after putting a socket on it, the socket wouldn't fit in the spark plug hole. So i took an old 5/8 spark plug socket and welded it to the tap and ground the welds so it would fit in the hole. The other hard part was seating the helicoil with the wedge because it was the same length as the hole was deep. All in all it took about an hour so not too bad.

Kevin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck has no balls