Couple problems with 06 Screw

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple problems with 06 Screw

I have, or I should say my wife has an 06 Screw lariat 4x2 with the 5.4L. My first problem is the other day I checked the oil and there was nothing on the stick. Drained the oil and came up with 4 quarts, I didn't take the filter off, so maybe another quart in the filter. The motor holds 7 quarts. I usually check out the truck after my wife takes it in to the DEALER for the routine maintenance, but this time I didn't and she has been driving for a month and a half before I checked the oil. Called the dealer, my wife brought the truck in for an oil consumption test. It's been 1000 miles and oil level is fine. I think the screwballs at the dealership didn't put enough oil back in it. The truck has 12,000 miles on it and I am worried about engine wear or damage from this in the long term. Should I be worried, or has anybody else had oil consumption problems on their new Fords?

Second question: When I start up the truck cold, I get a vibrating, rattling noise that eventually goes away within a few seconds, I also get the same type of noise when I put the truck in reverse. Any Thoughts?

Old 03-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Can't help you on the vibration. That's about the only thing my truck hasn't done to me yet. Check your exhaust heat shields.

For the oil, my truck uses (must burn it since there has never been any on the driveway) about .75-1qt in 5000 miles.

On 4 separate occasions, that's right 4, I had to remind the service monkey that the motor does indeed hold 7 quarts. That's most likely your problem. Look on the service invoice & it will tell you (at least the dealer I go to lists this on the invoice) how many quarts they dispensed. I know the lube-line tech's are usually not ASE certified but shouldn't there at least be some quality control? I would say this is an isolated problem with the dealer I go to but my co-worker with a F-150 reports the same problem at the dealer he goes to. So basically, check the oil before you leave the dealer.

KC-10 FE out...

Old 03-18-2007, 08:56 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about engine damage....... a quart low for 1k miles ain't too awful bad. And being a dealer they should have used the MC semi - synthetic oil, leaving things well lubriated.

Quick Reply: Couple problems with 06 Screw