tune-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 01:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tune-up

I have had my truck for about 3 years, it is a 98 4.6 4wd.

I have never had any engine work done to it.

Sometimes when I am going down the road, I will notice a studder in the engine. It will do this only from time to time and is becoming often.

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else, truck has 60 thousand on it.

I have never had it in for a tune up. What is involved when these newer vehicles get tuned up. In the old days I would buy points and plugs, put them in and be off. Would I be able to tune my truck? Thanks for your help.

I also have definite problems with some electrical items:

Such as; The light over head staying on for longer then usual even though all doors are shut. Open door light showing when I have checked the door five times then after a bit goes off. Gas gauge not working , when I fill it up it goes to a quarter tank, but will go to e when the gas is low enough, My side I cannot open the lock on passenger side passenger cannot open window with there button but I can from mine, I guess you get the picture.

I bought the truck used and would like to know a way to tell if I have remote locks, I do have power locks just wondering if the guy who sold me the truck just did not give me the remotes. I was thinking of buying a remote to try but do not know about these devices and how to program them.

Thanks, I don't mean to go on but, there are a lot of little things that add up and make ya crazy, know what I mean verne.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:56 AM
well these guys that have these newer trucks can tell you all about what plugs and stuff to get, but i can tell you how to fix you interior light and door ajar switch. they both work off the same switch inside the latch in the door and what is happening is that your switch is sticking, all you need to do is open your door and spray WD-40 or any like kind of lube into the latch itself and i mean soak it good so you get good penetration, wipe off the mess you made and you should be good to go.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:49 PM
remote door locks

to check on the remote door locks enter key into the ignition and turn from off to on (NOT to start) 8 times. On the 8th time if you have remote locks installed the locks will lock and then unlock on their own. There is a guy that sells the remotes on ebay if you do have the remote locks and programming them is very easy.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
If you have that little booklet in the glove box, it explains how to disable and enable beltminder and auto locks among other things. I know theres a PDF download out there somewhere if you didn't receive this book , I'll leave that up to you to search for it - I don't have that one handy , but I have seen it, so it's out there..

Google the "1998 F150 Owner's Guide Download" -

I lost both my remotes for my 98 at one time and I was able to use a friends temporarily. Heres how I did it , just follow the books programming instructions. My buddy had an 03 truck and his remote was capatible with my 98. I purchased new remotes after awhile on eBay . All trucks with PWDL have remote capabilities..

This page shows what DougFunnie13 metioned above -

Last edited by jbrew; 03-20-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by mowpar
I have had my truck for about 3 years, it is a 98 4.6 4wd.

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else, truck has 60 thousand on it.
60,000 miles is the recomended time to change your plugs, you can do it yourself , definitly use MOTORCRAFT plugs, follow Matts instructions -

https://www.f150online.com/forums/li...parkplugs.html

Old 03-20-2007, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by mowpar
I also have definite problems with some electrical items:

Such as; The light over head staying on for longer then usual even though all doors are shut. Open door light showing when I have checked the door five times then after a bit goes off. Gas gauge not working , when I fill it up it goes to a quarter tank, but will go to e when the gas is low enough, My side I cannot open the lock on passenger side passenger cannot open window with there button but I can from mine, I guess you get the picture.
As far as your electrical problems, a good place to start is behind your kick panels - theres three grounds that need special attention from time to time. Clean them up and use some anti-corrosion spray on them. I pulled the bolts and wire wheeled the paint off first. I have pics of two of them - the one not pictured is on the drivers side towards the top of the kick panel..

Last edited by jbrew; 03-21-2007 at 09:17 AM.

Quick Reply: tune-up