F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   V8 Engines (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines-24/)
-   -   Ticking!!! I Know Many Threads But (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/276256-ticking-i-know-many-threads-but.html)

JrogBLK4x4 03-05-2007 06:39 PM

Ticking!!! I Know Many Threads But

You know what what is exactly a cam phaser and a tsb? Still learning here I an 04' Scab 4x4 and was curious mine sounds like a small diesel all the time idleing, just cranked, and so on. Not noticeble when actually driving. I know once again many threads have been posted but I just want quick easy answers. Is is something to worry about cuz i have about 1000 miles left on factory warranty and was curious as to if I should get it fixed or is is just something that is relative to a Dodge "Hemi tick" and that is just how they are?

F151 03-05-2007 07:42 PM

I'd take it to Ford and see what they say. This is not normal. Could be anything from an exhaust leak to a valve hanging up.

sexsportsc3474 03-06-2007 11:51 PM

hey now

i have the same problem with my ford what to do???:confused:

nightz1 03-11-2007 08:35 AM

From what I've heard...the 5.4's are know for their tick...but how much ticking is normal...?????

Its a good question to be answered!!!

Lord Tauk 03-11-2007 10:55 AM

Injector pulse makes a "tick" sound.

hcmq 03-11-2007 01:03 PM

most common ticks in a 5.4

injectors
pcv
broken exhaust manifold studs
loose sprk plug

believe it or not some of these engines run so smoothly that when idling the injectors are very loud.

open the hood and listen closely you should be able to tell where the noise is coming from.

take it to the stealer just to be safe and hope they actually care enough to check it out properly.

good luck-

Cadmaster 03-11-2007 09:05 PM

Took my 2005 to Ford and they are telling me the diesle sound is normal I now that is bull **** but there is nothing I can do if they don't want to fix it. Anyone have any suggestions???????

John23 03-13-2007 10:43 AM

My 2002 F1-50 SCab 5.4 has made a slight ticking noise at idle since new. It now has nearly 100,000 miles with nothing more than regular maintenance (knock on wood). It doesn't bother me.

JoeyAnderson 03-29-2007 02:54 PM

My 2005 5.4 sounds exactly like a tiny diesel at idle as well - Ford says the same thing: normal.

mnponds 03-29-2007 04:24 PM

My 06 had the same issue, sounded like a diesel when warm. Dealer replaced both cam phasers under warranty with no issues. As soon as I started describing the problems, (ticking, bad mileage, poor power), the service writer pegged it right away. The truck runs much better now, and my mileage has improved almost 3mpg since the fix. There is a TSB on this issue, so don't let the dealer tell you it is normal. If neccesary, bring it to another dealer.

JrogBLK4x4 03-29-2007 04:42 PM

Yea I took it to a nearby dealer and I mentioned the cam phasers and they looked at it and might he said one had gone bad. THey replaced that and he fixed a dip stick tub leak and some loose clamps too. So the cam phaser issues are a situation among the new fords it is an issue I dont know why they wouldn't do a recall. It is fixed now and it has what seems to be a what I would think normal engine would sound like now.

JoeyAnderson 03-30-2007 04:39 PM

Wow - thanks for sharing your experiences guys. You motivated me to print out a copy of the TSB and call around - unfortunately I had to call 3 friggin' dealerships before I found one (40 miles away - argh) that would listen to me and agree that it sounded like a cam phaser problem - not just snap back with the "It's normal" crap.

The truck goes in Tuesday morning and I'm pretty confident that this dealership is willing to replace the phasers. I hope so - my warranty runs out in ~300 miles.

TRUEBLUE2004 03-31-2007 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
My 2005 5.4 sounds exactly like a tiny diesel at idle as well - Ford says the same thing: normal.

I just bought mine 4 days ago with ~50,000 miles on it(2004 FX4 super crew). The dealer give me no warranty (said it was against the law) :( I asked about the ticking noise and he told me it was normal and the shop had checked the truck over. Now I am ticked b/c it's not normal. How much does this cost to get fixed? Also my back passenger window keeps falling down (started tonight) so I guess I'll have to get that fixed to. I have always been a Ford man but this is getting ridiculous.:(
Can someone give me a link to the tsb for this.

glc 03-31-2007 02:52 AM

The dealer give me no warranty (said it was against the law)
WHAT???? If a dealer told me that, I'd leave his lot and never return.

Speedy8 03-31-2007 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE2004
I just bought mine 4 days ago with ~50,000 miles on it(2004 FX4 super crew). The dealer give me no warranty (said it was against the law) :( I asked about the ticking noise and he told me it was normal and the shop had checked the truck over. Now I am ticked b/c it's not normal. How much does this cost to get fixed? Also my back passenger window keeps falling down (started tonight) so I guess I'll have to get that fixed to. I have always been a Ford man but this is getting ridiculous.:(
Can someone give me a link to the tsb for this.

yea man, you got shafted on that deal

TRUEBLUE2004 03-31-2007 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by glc
WHAT???? If a dealer told me that, I'd leave his lot and never return.

Might explain why the truck was 3000 cheaper than everyone else.

No-Tyme 04-01-2007 11:06 AM

I would really like to see info on the cost or if this is something that the average back yard "do it you selfer" can fix. I hate taking my ride to the stealer :( for work...

Any input on cost and how hard the job is to do???

glc 04-01-2007 11:21 AM

I was referring to the statement that it was *illegal* to offer a warranty. That's just BS. If they want to sell it "as is" that's their prerogative but it's *hardly* illegal to offer a used vehicle warranty. I bought my 03 used last fall from a Lincoln-Mercury dealer and they gave me a 30 day full drivetrain warranty.

TRUEBLUE2004 04-01-2007 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by glc
I was referring to the statement that it was *illegal* to offer a warranty. That's just BS. If they want to sell it "as is" that's their prerogative but it's *hardly* illegal to offer a used vehicle warranty. I bought my 03 used last fall from a Lincoln-Mercury dealer and they gave me a 30 day full drivetrain warranty.

They offered to SELL me one. Does anybody know how long you have to buy the ESP. Might buy a short one just to get it fixed.

hoseclamp 04-01-2007 05:58 PM

My 5.4L ticked for about 2 years, we figured it was leaking manifolds, then I blew out a spark plug a month ago. New coil pack and plug, heli-coil the plug hole, sounds like new.

We have another 5.4L on site, same noise mine was making, the mechs pulled it in, had a loose plug, same cylinder as mine. Local Ford dealer said they've had lots of 5.4L plugs blow out, always the same cylinder too.

glc 04-01-2007 06:43 PM

Selling a used vehicle warranty is very legit.

04gtf150 04-01-2007 10:00 PM

Replacing the cam phasers isnt something i would recomend doing urself. I saw a little bit of the tech workin on my truck when i took it to the dealership, and thought "hell no"

JoeyAnderson 04-02-2007 11:58 AM

I dropped my truck off to the dealership this morning for the cam phaser replacement. If they try to tell me it's normal, I'm going to come unhinged. I love the truck, but being able to hear the engine knocking louder than the radio at idle certainly ISN'T normal.

Stealth 04-02-2007 12:05 PM

OK, you went from ticking (Normal injector noise) to knocking (Abnormal cam phaser noise), which one is it in for?

JoeyAnderson 04-02-2007 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Stealth
OK, you went from ticking (Normal injector noise) to knocking (Abnormal cam phaser noise), which one is it in for?

I never said my truck was ticking - which it is, but I know it's normal - my problem is the cam phasers causing a knocking sound when the engine is up to normal operating temperature.

The dealership just called and they said they replaced both phasers and the truck is now very quiet aside from the injector tick - SWEET! I will update this thread tonite to confirm. :)

Stealth 04-02-2007 06:37 PM

I never said my truck was ticking - which it is, but I know it's normal - my problem is the cam phasers causing a knocking sound when the engine is up to normal operating temperature.

The dealership just called and they said they replaced both phasers and the truck is now very quiet aside from the injector tick - SWEET! I will update this thread tonite to confirm. :)

That's awesome. I'm going to have to try to get my noisy cam phasers looked at again. Last time they said it was normal, I may have to print out some of these threads as evidence. :D

ricfly52 04-02-2007 08:46 PM

Mine sounds like a desiel. I have 10,300 miles on an 06 5.4.
I have a factory warranty plus a extended warranty. I will drive mine like I stole it. If it breaks, I pay a bill, deductable, and then let them fix it. My experience on these kind of fixes is positive. Because the extended warranty provider get's hit so hard, they damn well make sure the fix is correct!

Hell, I pull trailers, haul heavy loads, I don't care, tick or not this thing pulls.
I doubt it will break, but if it does........... so what!

Puller

JoeyAnderson 04-03-2007 10:39 AM

The truck is fixed!! What a wonderfully pleasant experience I had with Scenic Ford out of Mount Airy, NC. I had an appointment for Tuesday morning at 8 and I dropped it off Monday morning at 8:30 just so they could confirm the noise and get the parts ordered - they called me at noon on Monday to tell me that the truck was done! They replaced both phasers under warranty, which is great since I'm almost at 36K. :beers:

Originally Posted by Stealth
That's awesome. I'm going to have to try to get my noisy cam phasers looked at again. Last time they said it was normal, I may have to print out some of these threads as evidence. :D

I took the truck to one dealership and they said it was normal, even after I argued. I then called two more and explained it to them, and I got the "Well the 5.4s are just noisy motors, it's probably normal..." speech. I called Scenic after the other three, and they were GREAT from the get-go. Awesome service.

Originally Posted by ricfly52
Mine sounds like a desiel. I have 10,300 miles on an 06 5.4.
I have a factory warranty plus a extended warranty. I will drive mine like I stole it. If it breaks, I pay a bill, deductable, and then let them fix it. My experience on these kind of fixes is positive. Because the extended warranty provider get's hit so hard, they damn well make sure the fix is correct!

Hell, I pull trailers, haul heavy loads, I don't care, tick or not this thing pulls.
I doubt it will break, but if it does........... so what!

Puller

It likely won't ever break - the cam phaser issue isn't a parts concern, I just hated the knock. I could literally hear mine over the radio at idle. If I wanted to sound like a diesel, I'd have bought a diesel. ;)

nfld007 04-06-2007 09:48 AM

cam phaser problem

http://C:\Documents and Settings\Own...s\000_0144.jpgI had the same problem with my 06 . Have been battling it out with 2 dealerships because they said it was "normal" . It didn't sound like that when I bought it. One garage has finally agreed (after sitting in the cab and really listening to the motor) that it is indeed cam phasers--truck goes in on Monday and hopefully will be fixed!!! Don,t accept the "it's normal " decision. I had to go all the way to Ford Canada Customer Relations Department to get anywhere with this. Good luck to anyone else with the same problem!!!

Update: Problem Fixed, The truck just came out of the garage, NO MORE ticking noise.

It was the Cam Phasers.:banana: :banana:

wingmanscooters 04-07-2007 02:45 PM

thats awsome, that problem is exactly the same thing mine has. I know theres a normal tick from the injectors, but this tick is 10 times louder then that, and its only at idol. Did anyone of this fixedo tu of warranty? What did it cost? Mines out of warranty, they told me it was normal when I bought it.

millman11 04-16-2007 10:49 PM

5.4 Ticking- Have Bigger Problem Now-Intake Cracked?

Hey guys, thanks for the info. Have a 04 F-150 SC 4X4, took it in at 40K and was told ticking was normal. Just turned 96K and truck backfired last week while cranking. Took to Ford Dealer and they think it is either a cracked intake manifold or blown gasket. I've got a vacuum leak somewhere, looks to be expensive. Engine is running rough at idle. Taking it in to new dealer next week, will update with the solution (If I get one). Anyway, anyone else have this problem? Here is a link to a TSB on the 5.4 L tickin/Phaser issue. Cut and paste it in your browser. Hope it helps, Mill
http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...php?tsb=06-4-7

chumFX4 04-17-2007 03:08 PM

My truck does this also. It is louder upon initial startup, then a few seconds after i start it, it is not as loud, but still noticeable. I am going to call the Ford place and find out if it is covered by the extended waranty. I have already met my $100 deductible for the year, I had a leak in my rear diff.....:smoke:

rdogg450 05-10-2007 10:47 PM

Good Luck

The truck is fixed!! What a wonderfully pleasant experience I had with Scenic Ford out of Mount Airy, NC. I had an appointment for Tuesday morning at 8 and I dropped it off Monday morning at 8:30 just so they could confirm the noise and get the parts ordered - they called me at noon on Monday to tell me that the truck was done! They replaced both phasers under warranty, which is great since I'm almost at 36K. :beers:I took the truck to one dealership and they said it was normal, even after I argued. I then called two more and explained it to them, and I got the "Well the 5.4s are just noisy motors, it's probably normal..." speech. I called Scenic after the other three, and they were GREAT from the get-go. Awesome service.It likely won't ever break - the cam phaser issue isn't a parts concern, I just hated the knock. I could literally hear mine over the radio at idle. If I wanted to sound like a diesel, I'd have bought a diesel. ;)

I had both my phasers replaced in August of last year.....Within a couple months the noise is back..... haven't had a chance to take it back yet.... very annoying and embarassing though...lol

RJP66F100 05-12-2007 01:05 AM

That's what I've been wondering about, whether the new part's would last any longer than the originals. My 05 has this noise. Wouldn't seem out of place if I had some Cummins emblems for my fenders.:lol:

rdogg450 05-13-2007 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by RJP66F100
That's what I've been wondering about, whether the new part's would last any longer than the originals. My 05 has this noise. Wouldn't seem out of place if I had some Cummins emblems for my fenders.:lol:

Yeah the worst part is when your in a drive thru and your next to the wall waiting to pay and the noise deflects...... Very annoying my friends are always like "how old is this truck?" It's very embarassing:lol:

DaHammer7 07-08-2007 01:45 AM

Just wondering were you all hear this noise coming from. I just bought an 04FX4 which has just recently developed this tick, or knock, or whatever you want to call it. It does this when the engine is hot or cold. Thing is it seems way louder when I stick my head under the truck behind the front wheels than if I open the hood and listen from the top. From the top everything is quiet. From the bottom I definitely got some kind of a tick of some sort. Just wondering where everyone else is finding it's the loudest. Thanks.

AckDaddy 07-19-2007 10:30 AM

What's the estimate on repairs for the cam phasers? My dealer is calling me back with an estimate and I'd like to be able to compare.

My Expedition sounds like I fill it up with diesel too, even the passengers in the back seat make comments! It is embarrassing like a previous poster said!

endura 07-19-2007 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by mnponds
My 06 had the same issue, sounded like a diesel when warm. Dealer replaced both cam phasers under warranty with no issues. As soon as I started describing the problems, (ticking, bad mileage, poor power), the service writer pegged it right away. The truck runs much better now, and my mileage has improved almost 3mpg since the fix. There is a TSB on this issue, so don't let the dealer tell you it is normal. If neccesary, bring it to another dealer.

the TSB specifically states that the ticking does not affect power/durability/etc..

So much for that.

fordsoldier 07-19-2007 03:29 PM

there is a tsp report out there for cam phaser, I had the ticking on my truck I only had 10000 miles on it at the time, took it to the dealer with the tsp report and had them listen to the truck heard it and picked my truck back up 2 days later. havent had any problems since and I got almost 29000 on my truck now.

cyan60 07-20-2007 09:11 PM

well am on my 3rd set of cam phase sensors. this problem is far more common
than i think ford will admit. i now have customer care involved not sure why because they are doing absolutly nothing for me either.

2004 f150 5.4 screw. 79,000 miles. there is a supposed update on these sensors but they still go out. i had a ford mech in NJ tell me this problem
will NEVER go away. some motors have it others dont. which leaves me to belive its a engine defect. after all they are all the same motors and the fact i am on my 3rd soon to be 4th set of sensors since 24,000 miles.

yes the ticking is back after only 4,000 miles since the last replacement

wish i had a 4.6 in the truck the 2003 and earlier 5.4 motors dont seem to have this issue. i have been dealing with this issue for 2 yrs and am fed up

hate to say it. but the GMC sierra is going to be my next purchase

i cant take it anymore. no help from ford motors or any dealers.

run away from this motor as far and fast as you can