MEGA Fuses

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 11:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
MEGA Fuses

Curious , does anyone with 97-03 150's use these fuses? I bypassed mine awhile ago, they can fool you into thinking you need an alternator, they can also cause a no crank -no start issue among other things ...

Anyway they caused to much grief in the past , I finally just broomed em.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Really. You " just broomed em "? What kind of problems did you have?

Old 02-10-2007, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
Curious , does anyone with 97-03 150's use these fuses? I bypassed mine awhile ago, they can fool you into thinking you need an alternator, they can also cause a no crank -no start issue among other things ...

Anyway they caused to much grief in the past , I finally just broomed em.
You must have some kind of problem. I've never heard of ANYONE blowing one of those.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by ONELOWF
Really. You " just broomed em "? What kind of problems did you have?

I had an no power issue once that would come and go. If I hit a chuck hole or bump in the road , the truck would quit and then start again after awhile. I checked everything. I got to the MEGA fuses and at times the fuses wouldn't pass continuity and at other times they would. When I bypassed to see if they were the problem , sure enough the truck ran great , I guess they were half blown , idunno, maybe just weak, It ran better thats for sure and I never had that problem again..

Old 02-10-2007, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by chester8420
You must have some kind of problem. I've never heard of ANYONE blowing one of those.

They also caused my car starter not to work at times - I would have to reset the RPM memory all the freakin time , I haven't had to do that anymore either. Been running without them for atleast 2 years now..

Old 02-10-2007, 11:46 PM
They also caused my car starter not to work at times - I would have to reset the RPM memory all the freakin time , I haven't had to do that anymore either. Been running without them for atleast 2 years now..
Why not replace them? It'd be a shame for your house to burn down because of it.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Um, those fuses are there for a reason...

I'd find your root concern and fix that, before you set your truck on fire.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:59 PM

Why not replace them? It'd be a shame for your house to burn down because of it.

LOL , I linked an inline Maxi 60 in the positive cable and the alterator side already has an inline 30 (mini fuse.) I linked an inline 40 (mini) in the carstarter line as well..? Maybe I should just replace them as you suggest , they are there for a reason eehhh..

Old 02-11-2007, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Quintin
Um, those fuses are there for a reason...

I'd find your root concern and fix that, before you set your truck on fire.

Okay , you talked me into it, I will , thanks ..

Old 02-11-2007, 12:03 AM
LOL , I linked an inline Maxi 60 in the positive cable and the alterator side already has an inline 30 (mini fuse.) I linked an inline 40 (mini) in the carstarter line as well..? Maybe I should just replace them as you suggest , they are there for a reason eehhh..

I would suggest that you run all your accessories directly from the battery, or from the starter solenoid. Especially if they pull a lot of power.

If you have an accessory that you want to come on with the key, use relays. Don't directly tap any of the truck's power. You will cause problems that way! I know!

Last edited by chester8420; 02-11-2007 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:14 AM

I would suggest that you run all your accessories directly from the battery, or from the starter solenoid. Especially if they pull a lot of power.

If you have an accessory that you want to come on with the key, use relays. Don't directly tap any of the truck's power. You will cause problems that way! I know!

Yeah , they are for the most part- the car starter comes from the battery , 3" from the battery is the 40amp inline. I have a Clarion amplifier , I didn't install it , I'm not sure where thats tapped in at. I'll put the Megas back in - NEW ones..Thanks Chester and Quintin..

Old 02-11-2007, 01:31 AM
Are these MEGA fuses something standard, or aftermarket? I presume they're self-resetting? Can they be replaced with something more conventional?

Old 02-11-2007, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by pjb999@yahoo.co
Are these MEGA fuses something standard, or aftermarket? I presume they're self-resetting? Can they be replaced with something more conventional?
There standard main battery fuses on the firewall passenger side, behind that black cover in the pic.

Nah, not self reseting - there a 175amp fuse held together by a drop of solder that has a melting point when amperage is exceeded. I drilled one of mine out last night and pulled the cover to see if they were indeed blown.

The one I drilled out was not blown, it was broke in two before the solder connection - a friction break I gather. That's why I had problems, although it was broke the two pieces they were still in contact with each other , barley..

I've seen them for sale at all local auto suppliers in my area. I need two

Last edited by jbrew; 02-11-2007 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Stress fracture due to either mechanical shock or from thermal expansion/contraction. My guess would have to be either at assembly or a heavy handed mechanic at some point.

Steve

Old 02-11-2007, 10:26 PM

Steve , I'll post a pic of the break, if the fuse was truley blown , it would have severed around the solder point. Solder flows at about 360-370 degrees, The fuse couldn't reach that temp without catching the insulation on fire - so it should have blown at the coppers thinnest point. So , it looks like it was broke to me..

Maybe it was bent in the past - Like you mentioned - "a heavy handed mechanic at some point "

Making sure I don't have an electrical problem - I think it's ok, Like I said before , they have been off the truck for a couple years. I'm installing new ones later today - I didn't realize I could start a fire without them..

Last edited by jbrew; 02-12-2007 at 08:31 AM.

Quick Reply: MEGA Fuses