O2 sensor question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O2 sensor question.

My SES light came on so i got the code pulled. I think it was p0133 or something like that, reguardless it was "bank 1 sensor 1". I was going to buy the o2 sensor and the guy asked me how long my wiring harness was? One sensor came with a 8 inch harness, the other a 13, and the other one came with a 16". I have a '99 with the 4.6, anyone know how long I need to get the wires? Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the one located closest to the cylinder head before the Catylatic Converter...fyi.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would go to FORD with you vin#, don't play around with aftermarket o2 sensors. What little more you will pay will save you in pain. Sensor 1 is very critical in providing info to the PCM.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:35 AM
i went to napa and got bousch sensors, i had mine out of the truck already and just brought the old ones there. measured up to make sure it was the length needed

Old 02-10-2007, 01:20 AM
If they are asking you for the length of the wires they must be trying to sell you "universal" O2 sensors. With thoughs you have to splice your old connector on the wires.

Tell them you want OEM replacements. They should have or be able to get them. Cost shouldn't be much different and you won't have to deal with splices that might corrode.

Doug

Old 02-10-2007, 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by DDan1967
If they are asking you for the length of the wires they must be trying to sell you "universal" O2 sensors. With thoughs you have to splice your old connector on the wires.

Tell them you want OEM replacements. They should have or be able to get them. Cost shouldn't be much different and you won't have to deal with splices that might corrode.

Doug
Thanks Bud. I have a feeling they were universal ones because the guy didn't even go in the computer under my truck model.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:57 AM
Oh yea one more quick question. Ever since my truck tripped that code my mileage has gone down the chitter . Can o2 sensor's have that much affect on my mileage? Thanks again.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:48 AM
Bad O2 sensors can have a HUGE effect, not to mention literally frying your catalytic converters, til I replaced mine, my car smelled like it was being deep fried...the upside was I realised the people I had working on the truck were morons, since they were trying to talk me into letting them cut the cat out, they hadn't even considered the sensor as an issue.

Aren't Bosch the OEM anyway? There's NOTHING wrong with bosch, I think they make more of them than anyone else, anyway....providing the specs are right, there should be no issue.

As for harness length, it could well have been a generic in the OP's case, but when I replaced mine (just one on the '92) they did have to get me to check the harness, as they had two listed on their computer, one longer than the other. Otherwise they were technically identical, but I went for the shorter (correct) one, to avoid the risk of the wires catching something (my sensor's in quite a vulnerable place, right at the bottom of the exhaust) or getting melted by the pipe.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the info, glad to know it's the sensor causing my mileage to suck, not to mention acceleration.

Quick Reply: O2 sensor question.