Low compression on two cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Low compression on two cylinders

My truck has had the lunging issue for a couple of weeks. I changed the fuel filter because I thought I had bad gas. Got code p0148. After three weeks I had it changed while on the road, because I thought there was still trash in the gas.
Today I took it to the dealer.
There is low compression on two cylinders. Both heads have to come off.
Shop foreman says it is probably a stuck or burnt valve in each. He says it'll probably be due to a faulty injector dumping too much fuel.
Two questions:
1. Have you heard of this, and is it common?
2. Do you think the Edge may have contributed in any way?
By the way, the truck has 66k miles and is a 2005 with the 4.6.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:27 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Code 148 is a fuel delivery error.
If there is truly burnt valves, it is usually from a lean condition, detonation,timing to far advanced, blocked exhaust etc.
I would think you should have gotten some other codes long before this would happen, that would have alerted you to a problem as well as pinging, missing etc.
Burning valves in an F150 ,IMO would be extremely rare unless the fault conditions were ignored for a long time while the engine would still run and driven.
Let us know what the real score is.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Code 148 is a fuel delivery error.
If there is truly burnt valves, it is usually from a lean condition, detonation,timing to far advanced, blocked exhaust etc.
I would think you should have gotten some other codes long before this would happen, that would have alerted you to a problem as well as pinging, missing etc.
Burning valves in an F150 ,IMO would be extremely rare unless the fault conditions were ignored for a long time while the engine would still run and driven.
Let us know what the real score is.
Yep, I neglected to mention that I did get a lean code on both banks.
Pinging was something I battled, but thought I had finally ironed out.
Not sure what happened, to be honest. I don't think that the issue is a faulty injector, unless it was somehow obstructed.
Timing was only advanced 0.50 on 91 octane tune on the Edge. I finally gave up on that and left it alone.
I'll try to post what really happened when I find out. I'm a little confused about the whole bit. I don't know why it was leaning out as it seems to have been. It's also odd that it happened right after I made the mistake of filling up at a station while the tanker was still there. The first fuel filter change helped. It was a tank of bad gas, but there has to be more to it than the gas.

Quick Reply: Low compression on two cylinders