Sudden Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sudden Oil Consumption

17,200 miles on '05 F-150 5.4l. All stock. Changed oil/filter/air filter (all MC) at 15,000 miles. Runs like a champ with no other issues since buying the truck new. Within the last two weeks of my normal, nothing unusual commute to/from work, I noticed a burning oil smell coming from the vents inside the truck. I checked for leaks/seeping and the engine is clean enough to eat off of. No oil smell coming from under hood. I park in the same spot at home and work and there is no oil on the ground. The oil level was a little less than a quart low. I slowly add/check oil to keep the level exactly at the top fill mark and always check my fluids every Sunday. Last Sunday I added < 1 quart oil to bring the oil right to the top of the full mark. One week later, I still have the smell and just added < 1 quart oil. I have only used MC 5W20 w/MC 820s filter w/ 3000 mile changes. For the year I have owned this truck, the oil level has never went down between oil changes. The weather has been cool if not down right cold. Predominantely highway travel at +/- 70 MPH. I drive about 1mile through the city after exiting the freeway both at work and home. I only smell the oil through the vents when I arrive at work/home and the engine is at idle right before shut down. I always leave the vent doors in an open setting. I never turn the climate control **** "off". Is there a history of this happening to anyone or any recalls/TSB's on this issue? Any ideas?

Old 09-24-2006, 11:46 PM
Better take it in to your dealer you have some internal problem not many 5.4 use any oil at all in 3K mi.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Take it back. It's under warranty. I would love to be able to "not worry" about problems like that.

Quick Reply: Sudden Oil Consumption