P0174 code after cleaning! what did I do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0174 code after cleaning! what did I do?

I went and broke the rule! if it aint broke don't fix it! Anyway I removed the IAC valve, cleaned it with brake cleaner, reinstalled (replaced with new gasket) Here is where I think I screwed up! I then sraying throttle body cleaner into throttle body (Running engine reving RPMS) :Note; after I cleaned IAC, I quickly realized I was doing that process in reverse, So I recleaned the IAC again. I didn't notice any changes in the performance of the motor, But I received the gratitude OBD-11 code P0174
I think I may have clogged the EGR valve! I checked for all possible vac leaks and cleaned the MAF with brake cleaner as well. I just hope I didnt knock off carbon that was maintaining an intake leak!
Any input would be appreciated. Oh it's a 97 f150 4.2 speedo says 140k but it is a rebuilt motor, when I don't know!

Old 09-10-2006, 11:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you reset the KAM after all this cleaning and adjusting? If you can't find anything obvious, I'd clear the code then disconnect the battery for about five minutes and retest. If you didn't reset the KAM after the adjustments you did, the engine may have been operating under different parameters that what the adaptive strategy has already adjusted to, meaning that even though in reality the engine is running just fine, the PCM thinks something is wrong because it's seeing different readings and inputs than it's adjusted to and is expecting.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Thank You Quintin, No I didnt clear the Kam! Only cause I dont know how! How would I go about doing this?

Old 09-11-2006, 10:02 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Disconnect the battery for about five minutes or so, this'll reset the fuel trims so the PCM can readapt.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Thanks again Quintin ya I just reasearch Just how to do that and a few notes found advised to cut the neg off for no less than 5 minutes! I hope this does the trick!
like I said I had no problem till I fooled with it! Thanks again

Old 09-13-2006, 11:17 AM
clogged egr cleaned the code went away!

Quick Reply: P0174 code after cleaning! what did I do?