01 Running Rough

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 Running Rough

I have a 4.6 SuperCrew that has been running great - UNTIL I washed out the engine compartment. I did that on Labor Day and he has run rough (skipping) ever since. I have driven it 3 days now, thinking that if I got water in something that it would dry out by now. It hasn't. Are there any suggestions to where I might look for water that can survive with a hot engine for 3 days. Thanks

Old 09-07-2006, 02:20 PM
you've got water in the distributer....pull the cap and let it dry for a couple of hours...pull all your wires and stuff off and dry them out too...if there's still standing water in the distributer after this sop it up with a paper towel or something...

Good luck bud..._motes

Old 09-07-2006, 03:02 PM
At the risk of showing my mechanical ignorance - where is the distributer on the 4.6 V8 Triton. I have individual coils on the plugs - which look nothing like the old fashion spark plug wires. Thanks

Old 09-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
PayDay - Do search within the engines forum , just type "Misfire" and you'll get all the info , pictures a and websites you can handle - there's plenty on this subject , never wash your motor..

Distributer? what's that ? lol

Good Luck.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:03 PM
If it's an 01 it has COPs. You probably have water in the plug well of at least one cylinder. I drove through some flooded streets last week during the hurricane that had my exhaust under water. I had water up to the tops of the plugs in the #1 and #8 cylinders, talk about a rought idle. LMFAO If you have an air compressor pull the COPs and blow out the plug wells. BE SURE THAT THE ENGINE IS COLD, I was a dumbazz and sprayed hot water on my hand. It tingled a little. When you have the COPs out put some dielectric grease on the boots and reinstall. If you have a check engine light pull the code, I had IIRC P0301, misfire #1 cylinder...the COP was bad. $45-$55 at your local parts store.

Quick Reply: 01 Running Rough