Gas in Central Florida

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas in Central Florida

Is there anyone who knows what the best quality gas companies are in Central Florida? The last topic about the area is from 2000 and Mike recommended Amoco (before BP merge). Obviously things have changed around here since then, so I was looking for an updated list. Before you say it, there is no Citgo around. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Its an F150. the best gas is the cheapest gas

Old 08-30-2006, 04:28 PM
No, cheap gas is cheap gas. I use 93 octane premium gas with Troyer tunes among other mods. Each gas company uses its own formula of additives, some of which are higher quality than others. Furthermore, gas quality differs from area to area. I've seen only one post on this forum from 2000 about gas in central Florida. I know BP and Racetrak are near the bottom of the list, but those are two of the biggest stations around. Does anyone know what's good down here?

Old 08-30-2006, 04:30 PM
I've heard all the rumors that some stations sell better gas, more "pure" gas, and others that sell poor or "red" grade gas. A local news station did a report on this and got 1 gallon of regular gas from convenience stores, citgo, mobil, and a valero and got them analyzed. The convenience store gas was $.06/gallon cheaper and was no worse than any other grades. The only even considerable difference is that some companies add special "engine cleaning" additives, though there has been no evidence that these do anything. One of my parents used to audit Koch Pipeline and Conoco-Philips, pretty much the biggest oil pipers and refiners in the country, Conoco manufactures all the gas additives in NJ. With few exceptions, all gas comes from the same place. All additives come from the same place. Then the company creates their own "blend". There's only so many ways to arrange bread, ham, and cheese. You'll keep getting the same thing in different forms. I've used cheap gas since I started driving and never had any fuel-related engine problems. Granted, I've never owned a souped-up or turbo'ed motor, but still. Even when I drove an Ford RV with a Triton V10 motor across the country there was 85 and even 84 octane gas, never had any problems even driving over the Rockies with a 37' RV

There's really no benefit to using hi-test gas unless your engine has the compression to take advantage of it. Otherwise you're just wasting $5 every fill-up. I've tried using premium and noticed no discernable difference in regular driving. With a '96 Cherokee, and then a '99 Acura. I won't even bother trying it in my truck.

Last edited by RaWarrior; 08-30-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:39 PM
I've heard citgo and shell are good, but that's just by word of mouth, I have no evidence to back it up. By the way, I'm a UCF student to .

Old 08-30-2006, 05:53 PM
The general consensus, at least on these forums, is that all gas is not the same. Mike Troyer is one of the main advocates of this fact, and he has data to back it up. If no one knows what the highest quality gas is here in Central Florida, then what are the general companies to look for other than citgo and shell, as there are none around here.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:49 PM
who knows. all i know is im from orlando and im in the army so i live in Ft. bragg Nc, i came down for the labor day weekend and the gas here is still expensive. 20 cents cheaper up north, can you belive that?

Old 09-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Sunoco has good gas here in south Florida. i believe my truck runs better when i use 93 octane Sunoco Gasoline. also each time i fill up i add a bottle of Lucas Octane Booster which further ups the octane.

Last edited by Crabby440; 09-02-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:57 AM
I just came back from Florida last week (3000 miles). I ran BP/Amoco, Hess and Chevron in my 98 Expedition. 93 octane on the way down and 89 octane on the way back. Performance was the same, but the best milage I got was with Hess 89 octane with 10% Ethanol and the second best was Chevron 93.

Quick Reply: Gas in Central Florida