Performance issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance issues

Had my 04 5.4 3V in to dealer for performance issues and they told me I had carbon in my intake runners they pulled off the fuel rail on one side and they told me that it was not covered under warranty as ford didn't consider it a design flaw and they want $615 to pull the top end off and clean it and they told me would probably be the same in a year or so has anyone heard of such a thing???? I told my dealer I was not spending 600 on a 2 year old truck with only 20K on it and that it would be my last ford truck, any help would be appreciated

Old 07-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Do a search on Seafoam and spend $6 on a can of that.

Old 07-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Would you really have to use it after 2 years or 20k. I've had cars or trucks with over 100,000 miles and didn't need to do it anything to clean out the carbon. Does this really have to be done with that little mileage on it.

James

Old 07-08-2006, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by JForestZ34
Would you really have to use it after 2 years or 20k. I've had cars or trucks with over 100,000 miles and didn't need to do it anything to clean out the carbon. Does this really have to be done with that little mileage on it.

James
Well you are right J and I am not having it done will start dumping in some techron every now and then and just drive it, I wasn't very impressed with the prformance from the git go, before it goes off warranty think I will just dump it for something else

Old 07-08-2006, 11:38 PM
Just try the Seafoam, what have you got to lose? $6?

Old 07-09-2006, 01:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blackf-150
Well you are right J and I am not having it done will start dumping in some techron every now and then and just drive it, I wasn't very impressed with the prformance from the git go, before it goes off warranty think I will just dump it for something else
Did u test drive before buying? I wouldn't pay for a new vehicle I wasn't satisfied with from the get go.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Just try the Seafoam, what have you got to lose? $6?
OK will give it a try if I can find it have never even heard of the stuff have you used it and will it clean out carbon on the upper end with out setting off the CEL?

Trending Topics

Old 07-10-2006, 04:34 AM
It's available from any auto parts store, it's in a white can with red letters. I've used it on several vehicles and boats with great results in everything. Do a search for Seafoam, and you'll learn all about it. The only person on here who was able to set off a CEL was Mattineer, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 07-10-2006, 04:57 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
OMG- NEVER HEARD OF THE STUFF ? Act's like he's doing us a favor by using the stuff ...What the helll? Why waste your time on this putz -

People who have allot of problems generally because they are lazy and won't search the issue, most of all have a problem listening to others (they think there above all that or something..)

Suck that seafoam up your nose until it bleeds out your ears, shut yourself down for the night, wake up (I guess) - start your day by running yourself into walls untiil you start thinking straight, don't worry about the balck smoke pooring out all of your exits, that's just all that currupt thinking carbon build up from chilhood burning off...

Last edited by jbrew; 07-10-2006 at 05:16 AM.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:50 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
OMG- NEVER HEARD OF THE STUFF ? Act's like he's doing us a favor by using the stuff ...What the helll? Why waste your time on this putz -

People who have allot of problems generally because they are lazy and won't search the issue, most of all have a problem listening to others (they think there above all that or something..)

Suck that seafoam up your nose until it bleeds out your ears, shut yourself down for the night, wake up (I guess) - start your day by running yourself into walls untiil you start thinking straight, don't worry about the balck smoke pooring out all of your exits, that's just all that currupt thinking carbon build up from chilhood burning off...

rofl well put...

and i beleive the runner control blades for the TPI are the cause of all the new carbon build up in the intake runners.. there are some intake cleaners out there... u can easily remove it urself and clean the intake.. it would be time consuming but saves u alotta money. u can always just give it a good ol italian tune up.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
reguardless of is this is a $6 fix or a $600 fix, i would be pissed to have to be doing this type of maintennce on a truck with 20k miles.

i personally dont think seafoam would cure your problem. sure $6 wont hurt, but i would not hold my breath.

Old 07-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
reguardless of is this is a $6 fix or a $600 fix, i would be pissed to have to be doing this type of maintennce on a truck with 20k miles.

i personally dont think seafoam would cure your problem. sure $6 wont hurt, but i would not hold my breath.

i would take B12 over sea foam its also about 3 bucks a can compared to expensive sea foam. it wont load up in the cats or generate alot of white smoke and B12 also burns alot better. and is use to flush injectors. but B12 will definatly clean out carbon build up.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have never used any of the miracle in a bottle stuff.

i can half way understand were it would "clean" anything it comes in contact with (gas tank, lines, rails, injectors thru the motor, I can even understand it cleaning the intake side of the heads , how will in clean the intake manifold when the intake manifold is a dry stytem (no gas flows thru the throttlebody or intake, tru the injestor mounts in the intake but the spray patern goes almost straight to the head). i dont think the egr will flow enought to do anything.

unless i am missing something very obvious, i dont get it?

Old 07-10-2006, 05:01 PM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you inject the cleaner through the brake booster hose it will enter just before the intake manifold. Remove the lid. Start engine pull off the brake booster hose and put it in the can of seafoam. Vacuum will suck it out of the can. Tip: Place your finger over the end of the brake booster hose to keep the vacuum leak from stalling the engine. Remove finger just before inserting the hose in the can.

JMC

Old 07-10-2006, 05:08 PM
JMC, I don't know about you, but when I remove my BB line, my truck's idle speed increases to about 1500 rpm, or so it sounds like.

Quick Reply: Performance issues