my wife dislikes my bent rod

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 02:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 97 f150 4.6 with 136,000 miles on it. Around a year and a half ago I left it parked for a week while I was on vacation. When I returned and started it up it sounded like someone was inside the engine beating a hammer. I had it towed to a dealer to see what was wrong and they said I had a bent rod and that I needed a new engine... which was going to cost me 4,500 to have done.

I want to replace it with another 4.6 and I was planning on doing it myself but I realized I have limited mechanical knowledge, not many tools, and even less time. I think I just need some advice from some fellow truck owners about my options.

I really can't do the work on it myself. I've narrowed it down to taking it somewhere and having the work done, or selling it and buying something new... and in either case I'm not really sure what to do?

If I sell it-- who wants to buy a broken truck? It still runs (loudly) and looks good, but it's been sitting in a garage for over a year... how much would someone pay for that?

If I try to have it fixed, where can I get an engine and how much will it cost to have someone install it for me?

Old 06-30-2006, 02:21 AM
Sorry I can't help you bud.. I have no clue on an engine replacement.. Although the folks on here are full of knowledge!! They can help you troubleshoot/make a decision or at least provide decent advice.. BTW welcome to the boards

Old 06-30-2006, 02:53 AM
if it sat for a while u likely just heard a dry valve train noise... cause rods usually break on these trucks and rarely have i heard of a bent rod on the 4.6L i bet that idiot mechanic didnt know that these were OHC engines and dont use push rods.. only connecting rods... so ur engine is likely fine. change the oil in it. and start it up let it idle for a bit see if the noise goes away.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:56 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

As for it being a bent rod-- it might have been a broken rod-- I can't find the paperwork from the dealer and my memory is a little fuzzy at the moment. I'll try an oil change and see what happens.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:17 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
"Connecting rod" would be the thing between the piston and the crank...

"Push rod" is what is used between the lifter and the rocker arm in a OHV type of engine like the ol' 302...

For our engines, "push rods, we don't need no stinkin' push rods..."

If it is a bent rod, the only way that 'usually' happens is if the engine gets "hydro lock" when water enters the cylinder and when it's started, it compresses the water and can't complete it's stroke and the weakest part of that cylinder gives way... Sometimes that causes a complete lockup, other times, if it was not a lot of water, but just enough to cause it to bend, but actually run...

The 'knock' you now hear is because it's all out of whack.

Search the junkyards for a used motor... These will be your 'cheapest' option to get the motor as they won't have any kind of warranty and you will have to haul it away.

You could go for a re manufactured motor... These will be a bit more expensive, but will usually have some sort of warranty on it.

In either case, you will still need to have someone install it for you by the sound of it. That's a hit and miss deal too...

All you can really do is shop around and find the best overall deal that works best for you... If $$ is the main concern, then your choices are limited...

IMO, if the truck has been sitting for a year and you are not really 'missing' it for the use of a truck, then I'd think you don't really need it taking space in your garage.... Now, if you are just waiting for the $$ to fix it or deciding if you want a new one, then fixing it for the most expensive option will be far cheaper then buying a new truck.. Sure, a new truck is what EVERYONE wants, but is it what you really need??

Anyway, good luck to ya!

Mitch

Old 06-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by greenplasticme
Man, I hate when that happens!!!!

Old 06-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by chester8420
Man, I hate when that happens!!!!

meh lol my g/f's never complain they always tell me it feels better

Trending Topics

Old 06-30-2006, 05:22 PM
What a great title for a thread!!!!!!!

Old 06-30-2006, 05:37 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by lovetrucks
What a great title for a thread!!!!!!!
I was hoping you would not see this one!

Old 06-30-2006, 07:03 PM
Engine
Ford Truck 150 TESTED OK 4.6 NICE GREAT LOW PRICE ! 88,000 A 060239 $849.95 Marshalls Auto Parts, Inc. USA-OH(Circleville) Request_Quote 1-800-333-2104 Request_Insurance_Quote car-part.com

Old 06-30-2006, 07:47 PM
If I sell it-- who wants to buy a broken truck? It still runs (loudly) and looks good, but it's been sitting in a garage for over a year... how much would someone pay for that?
If you are thinking of getting rid of the truck you could talk to some auto technicians. Many of us keep an eye out for a vehicle needing some mechanical repairs that we can buy. It's a good way for a tech to either get himself/herself a different vehicle for less money or fix it in their spare time and make a little money on it. The fact that it sat really makes no difference. If anything it may have helped by bringing the mileage closer to what is considered the "normal" average (one year older - no additional miles). As for price it will vary depending on who you talk to but I would guess you could figure on it being blue book value minus what an engine replacement would cost you at a shop at very very best.

Another option would be donating it. Here in Wisconsin we have Rawhide Boys Ranch. People donate their old vehicles and get a tax write-off. Then the young people at the Ranch repair the vehicles as needed (to gain experience) and sell the vehicles with the money going to support the organization.

Just a couple of your options.

Also as far as used engines go many of the salvage yards are checking the engines over thoroughly before selling them these days. That is why they feel comfortable offering extended warraties on them. The standard warranty is 90 days. You can buy warranties of 1,2 and sometimes even 3 years. One thing to mention though. BEFORE you buy a salvage yard engine makes sure you have a shop that will install it. Some will not install your parts. Also if you are not saving much buying the engine yourself vs. from the installer you may be better off buying from the installer. As a much more frequent customer of the salvage yard they may be able to get things handled better if there is a problem (stretch the warranty a little if it just expired) and the shop will be more likely to eat some of the labor in case of problems.

Just my two cents. Or was that $2 - I rambled a little long.

Old 07-01-2006, 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
I was hoping you would not see this one!
Well you know me.....I only spot the good ones.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the help. I think I'll buy it through a company like auto zone and then finding a mechanic to put it in for me.

Oh, and it's a 4.2 SPi, not a 4.6-- sorry I was kind of tired when I made this thread.

On a side note... I'm a little irritated with the dealer that looked at it. I thought I had lost the paperwork but it turns out they gave me the wrong paperwork. After the weekend I'm going to see if they have my paperwork on record.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for the help. I think I'll buy it through a company like auto zone and then finding a mechanic to put it in for me.

Oh, and it's a 4.2 SPi, not a 4.6-- sorry I was kind of tired when I made this thread.

On a side note... I'm a little irritated with the dealer that looked at it. I thought I had lost the paperwork but it turns out they gave me the wrong paperwork. After the weekend I'm going to see if they have my paperwork on record.

GEEEZZZZZZ!!!!

Quick Reply: my wife dislikes my bent rod