Misfire on Cylinder 8 help! Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisbutts
This is exactly what my truck does. When it hits OD I barely give it gas and it shudders. So how do I know what coil is bad if it won't turn on the CEL?

My truck has been doing this for a year, and I can't make it stop. I want to sell it but nobody's going to want it unless I can fix it.

Any suggestions???
I have also had this exact same problem for about the same amount of time!!!! It has been ticking me off for at least a year!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bamacpl
I have also had this exact same problem for about the same amount of time!!!! It has been ticking me off for at least a year!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you guys aren't hereing me , I also had the same problem and went into great detail with what it took me to solve this problem - do a search on my posts to see about 3 months ago when I started - i went thru hell , but was dedicated to solve this problem , after all the leg work, I finally did. Go to the link - it works. Alls you have to do is click the link and go to globals store and part with $130 for a complete COP set and thats w/plugs as a kit. Last time I talked to Steve he said these kits come and go and wouldn't last long - others have already verified. Better hurry now. My truck hasn't run this well since it was new.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:53 AM
Thanks for all the information and help!

I'm having a tech at work take a look at my truck this week. I know you are right and I'll be replacing the COP's and plugs, but he's gonna take a look at it for free. We have a new diagnostic computer and he says we should be able to load each COP seperately and see which ones are failing.

I'm selling the truck soon and I just want to make sure I'm repairing exactly what is wrong before I throw money at it. Also I don't want the person that buys it to try and bring it back because of problems.

Thanks for the link. I'll report back after we test and let you know what we find. Then maybe I'll take some pics and write a how to when I replace the parts so others doing this in the future can see how it's done.

The only thing that gets me about this whole thing is that after a year of missing, not once has a check engine light come on. And no, the bulb is not burned out.

Old 06-15-2006, 12:22 AM
I am also having this same problem. I have a 98 Expedition with a 5.4 with about 119,000 on it. I have had 2 COP's go out on me already between 100,000-110,000 and my mechanic has replaced them along with new plugs and problem was solved. This time around I get the CEL to come on and hardly have any power and take it in for a reading and it is a misfire on #4. So I have him fix it with a new COP and get my truck back and as I am driving home and all of a sudden it starts to hesitates and shudder and lose power when I am in OD or low end speed. So I take it back the next day to him and he swaps out the new #4 COP with the #1 COP that he replaced at one other time. So I drive the truck through the weekend and see if the same problem occurs. Yes, the same thing happens now when I take off from a stop it hesitates and misses getting up to speed rather then in OD or a lower moving speed. Cannot get the CEL to come on or throw a code for the life of me and does not miss or hesitate all the time. So we put it back on the machine and all we get is a reading now of a misfire and won't give a certain code to what cylinder it is. My guess is that it was a bad or defective COP . So we get a brand new COP and replace the #1 that we swapped out from #4 that gave us the misfire at the start of the problem and nope problem is still accruing. He has had the truck for another two days and cannot pin point the issue. Now he tells me that he has too much time into the truck and I should take it to the dealer because maybe they can find out what is wrong with it.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:41 AM

I pretty much explained on page one in this thread as to why this is happenning - this is my last post - 4 some reason your not listening - with the hi tech 5.4L modular , it's an integrity thing !!!! Repalce all cops or you'll have more problems soon- don't just replace one plug , replace them all!! I feakin even gave you the link to buy a brand new set , cheap!! it's like buy 2 -get 6 free - what more do you want?

Old 06-15-2006, 09:32 AM
That same seller on ebay has just the 8 COP's for cheap too if you want to use some other plugs. Don't feel too bad jbrew... I'm taking your advice. I've already place my order for the COP's and they're on the way!

Thanks Again!

Last edited by chrisbutts; 06-15-2006 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:53 PM
thanks JBrew

I just want to be sure that its not the injectors. As I got into the truck today and drove it to work it did not miss once it ran fine. I dont just want to go blow 130.00 on new COP's and then find out its the injectors. It could only be 1 out of 3 things. It is either the COP the injectors or a bad valve. Going to drive it home tonight and see if the problem happens. If it was a bad COP then you would think it would do it all the time and not just once and a while.

Old 06-16-2006, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by vegasdream2
thanks JBrew

I just want to be sure that its not the injectors. As I got into the truck today and drove it to work it did not miss once it ran fine. I dont just want to go blow 130.00 on new COP's and then find out its the injectors. It could only be 1 out of 3 things. It is either the COP the injectors or a bad valve. Going to drive it home tonight and see if the problem happens. If it was a bad COP then you would think it would do it all the time and not just once and a while.
Ok I feel better now lol, thanx - Well here's how you tell, at about 40-45 (around there) where ever your vehicle shifts into over drive. after it shifts into OD, give it just a liittle gas, start at the low RPM's and work yur way up slowly while still maintaining OD - this is where a bad coil will say hello with a miss and a shudder , that is the easiest load test your COP's. If you ordered COP's and are waiting for them - in the mean time you can make your vehicle compansate a little more by disconnecting your battery for an hour os so - re-connect and run three 40-60 decels in the same drive cycle , this re-calibrates your ratio's and will help your misfire in the mean time- after rehooking the batterey - drive normaly where you can speed up to 60 and let it decel back to 40 without touching the brakes or fuel again until 40 is reached. It doesn't have to be in a row - just in the same cyle..key on 2 key off

Last edited by jbrew; 06-16-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Okay, so I'm not going to take pictures and do a "how to" for you guys. Sorry, I replaced them all in 45 minutes on my lunch break.

I don't understand why some of you guys have so much trouble getting to these COP's. I found it was really easy if you unplug the harness to each one before you take the bolt out. Also, it's easier if you unplug the injectors too so they're out of the way.

Anyway, thanks a ton for all the advice and help on this topic. I bought the "new OEM" COP's from Global Parts on ebay for $105 for all eight. Be advised... these are not Ford Motrocraft products! These are no name no blame units, but hey... for the price the is NOTHING better.

I swapped them all out, took her for a test drive, and WOW... what a difference. I thought it was just missing under light load. It must have been making it run bad all the time because it really came back to life.

There should be no more discussion when others are experiencing this "misfire" problem. This simple fix solves the problem!

Old 02-10-2017, 12:34 AM
Cylinder 8 misfire '97 F-150 Extended cab 4X4 with a 5.4L V8

help please, I have replaced the spark plug like 2 weeks ago, and replaced the coil pack at the same time, and then it ran good for about a week and a half, then it started missing again a couple days ago, so I swapped out the coil pack with a new one last night, it started missing again this morning, whenever I changed the plug the electrode was non-existent, so what could be causing this? Because it's only reading as cylinder 8 when I plug the code reader up

Old 02-10-2017, 11:30 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Gumout for high mileage engines will help clean the injectors.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:11 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
whenever I changed the plug the electrode was non-existent,
If that keeps happening, you have a problem inside the cylinder. Do a compression test and look in the cylinder with a borescope.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:41 PM
My issue

I drive an '07 f150 super crew with the 4.6 Triton and 156k miles. Had the same issue where cylinder 8 was misfiring, after sending it to the shop for the same issue with the engine light flashing and it stuttering it came back with a diagnosis of the intake having a crack leaking (antifreeze?) Down into the spark plug running it and the coil pack. It's an extremely common issue with these engines. Essentially you have 2 options. 1) replace the spark plug and coil pack and it run like new and just wait for it to happen again and hope it's not soon or 2) replace the intake for about $800 and hope that it doesn't crack also. Bought this truck used and dont know how many times it's happened before my ownership but it's been running fine for about a month now after replacing those 2 components.

Quick Reply: Misfire on Cylinder 8 help! Recommendations