ac wont work

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry ac wont work

i have power to the clucht but it wont kick in i was told i need to reprogram the comp but i dont think so it has to be a simple thing theres plenty of freon init its a 97 150 4.2

Old 05-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Reprogramming the cumputer is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard for a problem like this. Make certain you ignore this person's automotive advice from now on.

If you have power (battery voltage) at the clutch but the clutch does not energize, then either the clutch is defective or the coil lost its connection to ground.

If the refrigerant were low, it wouldn't have power at the clutch, so at least you don't have that to worry about.

Steve

Old 05-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Sounds like you need a new clutch. If the system has power, as stated, then there is enough gas to let the low pressure switch kick on and everything is working except the compressor or clutch one. One piece of advice, changing a clutch is a MF"r of a job without the right tools, and sometimes even with the right tools. Most times, just replacing the compressor is the easiest route.

Old 05-10-2006, 07:15 PM
I agree, it sounds like your clutch is worn out. However, I think the easy fix is to grind down the shaft of the clutch. What usually happens is as the clutch wears the gap between the clutch and pulley becomes too large. It should be .5mm or .019" it's most likely more than .050" right now. All you have to do is remove the clutch bolt and file or grind down the end of the shaft. Go slowly and use a feeler gauge until you get it right. You don't even have to remove the belt. I just did mine a month ago and it works great.

Old 05-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Tap the flexplate of the clutch with a screwdriver handle while the engine is running with the A/C on to see if it'll engage.

Quick Reply: ac wont work