cheap hp upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheap hp upgrades?

wuts the cheapest way to gain me some hp i got a new 06 5.4L wut can i do to gain a few more hp ? air intake? chip? i have no idea bout motors ........so ideas would help? im planning on running 35s soon would that mean i need a gear or something in my rear end or tranny? would exaust kill hp or gain? and wut brand .......anyways .......any ideas would really help

Old 05-05-2006, 09:13 PM
well if u dont have the tires yet i would do a tuner, those give u the most hp for ur money. once u get the tires the tuner can be used to change the speedo also. plus i would look in to gears when u get the bigger tires. exhaust and intake arent too big of a gain for the amount of money u have to pay for them. i personally have true dual with balance pipe and a volant intake. together they were $500. not much of a gain. but remember ur mods will work together. say the tuner gets u 30 hp and an intake exhaust combo with out the tuner gets u 6hp together u would prob get more then 36 hp. just because they are working together. also might want to look in to e-fans to free up some of the power u already have.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Also, get a K&N air filter, use a performance oil, and a performance oil filter.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Oh, and RacerF-150-2...
tell me about these e-fans. I've thought about it, but haven't had the time to go all out and research it... how much $? How much did it help? How hard was it to install?

And, you mentioned tuners. Are you referring to chips? If not, do you have to use premium gas. 'Cause I know you have to use premium for chips, but if you don't have to for a tuner, than I might look into it..***IF IT DOESN'T VOID THE WARRANTY*** (I'm not a fan of doing anything that will void the warranty due to recalls, etc.)

THX

Old 05-05-2006, 10:59 PM
there are pages of threads over these topics.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:52 PM
http://www.superchips.com/product.ph...mk=419&msg=%2B this is the tuner i have (its for a 05 on the page but obviously i have the 2000 model) here are the e-fans...http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...no=PPI-EFK1604

Old 05-06-2006, 12:10 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The biggest gain you are going to FEEL will be a gear change. If you plan on 35's, go with a set of 4.10 gears. Think you are going to go a little taller on the tires- go with the 4.30 gears. In most areas you're looking at around $1,000 for the change. Maybe able to find somebody cheaper but it won't be by much and still get a good set. The chips and other goodies will add some marginal HP gains but for the most part- you won't FEEL it. A CAI MIGHT knock off .3 second in the 1/4 mile- you can't FEEL that. Chips may add another 20 hp or another .3 seconds in the quarter. Get the drift here. Combined, a lot of these add ons can make a difference but you have to have them all to tell the difference with out a stop watch. Also, performance oil and oil filter will buy nothing- don't buy into the advertizing hype. I can take YOUR engine and dyno it. Take it for a ride and come back and dyno it again and show HP gains in the 20-30 hp range. It's all in knowing how the equipment works and the test results YOU WANT to get.

Trending Topics

Old 05-06-2006, 07:55 AM
Cheap and HP are two things that don't go together. There is no such thing.
Performance oil and filter, 0HP. Cold air intake, very little change but on the new F150 I have heard that an intake will cause running issues without a tuner at the same time.

The best thing to do to start is going to cost you in the vicinity of $1000. That'd be an intake, exhaust, and tuner. (considered stage 1 by Troyer)

You can get the brands of your choice, but I'd recommend Flowmaster exhaust and TP custom tuning. The intake, whatever you want. Once you've done that, then I'd get into Efans and the other more in depth changes.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:46 AM
More HP

I have an 05 F150 with Heavy Duty package, reg cab long bed, it came with 4.11 gears from the factory. I put a K&N intake and filter and I bought a Hypertech chip....what a difference with the hypertech running 93 octane. Well I will be switching back to 87 octane since 93 costs $3.20 a gallon in Massachusetts. The chip is the best way to go for some extra horses!

Old 05-06-2006, 10:59 AM
"Performance oil and filter, 0HP. ".....

Call me stupid if u want, but I've enver heard of this abbreviation. What does it mean?

Old 05-06-2006, 03:55 PM
It means, + 0 Horsepower. Like, its not going to net you anymore power than you already have. (read: it will do the same thing as the turbonator or a TB spacer, nothing.)

Old 05-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Hey, TortureKilla...

If you get high performance exhaust (ie: Aeroturbine, etc.), than you can get a very significant boost in power and mpg. (ie: 7mpg, and i dunno 'bout power numbers, but it's very noticable.) They're expensive, but will very quickly pay for themself, ad sound absolutely phenominal. I've never heard of a negative effect on power by getting pipes.

As for a chip, it will give you a boost of power...BUT, you have to use premium to get the boost, and I've heard you can really screw upur engine if you don't, because it changes timing, etc.

Quick Reply: cheap hp upgrades?