How to Pull 4.6L engine out

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She's finally out. Thanks to everyone's input. I ended up not using an engine leveler, and I left the motor mounts intact on the engine. I did have to remove the coil pack on the passenger side to give me more clearance becasuse it was hitting the condenser coil. It should really be interesting to get it back in. Now to order a new motor. AER Engines out of Texas has a remanufactured 4.6L with a 3yr 100K warranty for 1900 bucks (not including core charge). They will deliver to my door, and also pick up my core. Can't beat that for service.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:32 PM
I Installed a 2007 motor4.6 L in a 2003 motor 4.6 L in a ford F 150

my F 150 broke down i installed a 2007 motor 4.6 L
in a 2003 motor 4.6 L

Old 11-01-2017, 09:44 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
What is your question?

Old 03-19-2020, 02:07 PM
Manual transmissions

Originally Posted by GABoyinTroupCo.
1st off even if it is a 4wd you don't have to do anything but let the air out of the tires. 2nd, the leveler could be a life saver or you could do a diagnol chain from the back side of one head to the front side of the other. The issue that you are going to run into is as you raise the engine you are going to find that unless you unbolt the engine mounts from the side of the block you are not going to have enough clearance or at the very least you will cause yourself some extra heart ache. (Been there done that) The next thing to worry about if you use a chain is the valve covers. They will break if you allow the chain to lay across them as you pull the motor. You can buy the pulling brakets at any local parts store and I would highly suggest them. You could also fab your own as I did just make sure you use 1/4 in thick steel and fab it so that you could use your exhuast manifold bolts. Other than that you should be good to go. If you still have trouble with clearance it may be a good idea to get a buddy to underneath the truck as you pull it up so he can tell you how it looks from there. Just make sure he keeps all his little fingers and other appendages back away from any area that could cause him harm.
If is a 4x4 5speed manual transmission. Does the transmission need to be slide back to be able to pull the engine?

Old 03-19-2020, 08:18 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim D88
If is a 4x4 5speed manual transmission. Does the transmission need to be slide back to be able to pull the engine?
nope, just lifted slightly so you can get the engine mounts out of the pockets on the subframe, then pull engine foward

also this thread is from 2006

Old 05-01-2020, 12:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to be pulling a 4.6L out of my 97 pickup this summer, also going to be removing the transmission/transfer case for rebuild as the whole set (motor/tranny/xfercase) has 315k on them and its time. I would assume this would make the whole process of removing the engine easier if I pull the transfer case/transmission first because there wont be anything for the engine to hang up on transmission wise?

Old 05-06-2020, 01:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi

You leave intake and motor mounts on. You wrap a chain around driver side exhaust header. The other part of chain is bolted to the front of the passenger cylinder head. You use a floor jack on the oil pan to help raise the engine off the crossmember. Then you pull engine towards the front of the vehicle. Then turn the engine clockwise after you raise it some. The engine will be facing transversely when you pop it out. A lot faster then removing unnecessary components. But I am the best not every one can be like me.

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: How to Pull 4.6L engine out