1999 F150 problem!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1999 F150 problem!

Hey, I'm new here. Glad to be apart of f150 online.
I'm having a problem however... my 1999 f150 just started acting a little wierd. It started to drive a little jerky, which I thought was normal because I had experienced that before. However a few minutes afterwards it starts to drive worse at the wheel and the throttle is even jerky when you push it down. I thought it may have been a flat tire, but when I rolled the window down, I could hear the engine sound like it was skipping, like a 'wish wish wish' sound. I think it was a belt, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I pulled it over and listened to it in idle and it sounded fine, but as soon as I put it in reverse or drive it started making the noise and the car felt weird again. I think it was smelling too, like burning rubber or the like.. Do you guys know what might be the problem? Do I have a bad belt? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

-R

Old 01-11-2006, 09:40 PM
There's just 1 belt in that truck right? And if it slipped or broke u wouldnt be able to drive it because the ALT woulda stalled.. I could be wrong tho' - i have a 1999 F150 V6 4.2 and had my belt break one me once at about 70K miles. The truck was undriveable untill we got the new belt on.

Do you see the belt in front of the engine when u pop open the hood? Does it look like its torn in any places or anything?

maybe someone smarter in this area can help...

Old 01-11-2006, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by SouthernJustice
as soon as I put it in reverse or drive it started making the noise and the car felt weird again.
Sounds like a transmission problem to me. IF that's the problem, you're lookin at $1500 for a new one (if installed by a dealership).

Then again, I'm not a mechanic so don't go out and buy a new tranny just because I said so.

If it's a standard (it seems nobody drives a standard anymore) then it might just be a clutch issue, which would explain the burning smell.

Have someone look at it.

Last edited by RageOfOrder; 01-11-2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:56 AM
It may be a coil pack. Does you check engine light come on?

Quick Reply: 1999 F150 problem!