Newbe needs help

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbe needs help

2000 5.4 intermittent no start just cranks. Try several times and will fire up and run fine. Worse after sitting for a while. No codes?

Old 12-18-2005, 07:38 PM
Welcome to the board! A no start could be either fuel or spark. What do the spark plugs look like? How many miles on them?

How many miles on the fuel filter?

Do you hear the fuel pump kick in when you turn the key to ON before you start it?

Your problem sounds more fuel related if it's cranking, but certainly could be either. It would be helpful to test your gas line pressue as well if you have a gauge.

Hunt4Fun

Old 12-19-2005, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the reply.
93K on the engine. I asumme orignal plugs. It seems the longer it sits the harder to start. Maybe loss of fuel pressure?
I can't find the shrader valve on the injection rail to test the pressure.
Once its starts, it runs perfect It wasn't reading any oil pressure when cold Thought I might have a wiring problem but I changed the oil pressure sending unit and that fix the oil pressure problem. I just bought the factory repair manuals 1&2 (there in the mail) but I think I'll need the emissions - troubleshooting volume. I'm starting to lose my hair on this one.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:18 PM
it may be a fuel issue but there are other things. the Engine coolant temp (ECT) sensor comes to mind. i know you don't have a CEL but you may have a stored code in the PCM that may steer you in the right direction.

Quick Reply: Newbe needs help