anyone know what code

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone know what code

1506 is? Or, i should ask where is the idle air speed control on a "97" f150 4.6?

Thanks for any info!

Old 10-30-2005, 10:16 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
P1506 - Idle Air Control (IAC) Overspeed Error. This is set when the idle speed is greater than the commanded idle speed. Disconnect the IAC to see if the idle changes. If it doesn't then the IAC is damaged or needs to be cleaned. Here is a pic of where it is on the 4.6.

JMC

Old 10-30-2005, 10:48 PM
Thanks,,

Actually i changed that about 6 wks ago & had the code cleared at the same time.

yesterday, the light came on again, disconnected it at autozone for the parts guy, nothing changed.
He gave me another one, i replaced it. took a short trip running errons around town. came back on again (check engine light)
Had it checked at the other autozone today & 1506 is the code . had him clear it & for right now, it`s off. Didn`t think to unplug it while there to see if it made a change but,, i should have!

someone below stated to clear the ecm after replacing the iac. are ya familar with this?

Thanks for the reply. M.Ghost

Old 10-31-2005, 08:47 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
When ever a componant that effects the idle is changed the Keep Alive Random Access Memory (RAM) has to be erased. It holds the idle trim memory. The idle trim needs to be relearned. The fastest way is to disconnect the battery to erase the memory and have the PCM relearn.

JMC

Old 10-31-2005, 01:52 PM
Thanks very much,

I`m going to do that this evening.

M.ghost

Old 01-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Smile P1506

I have been chasing a P1506 on the same model for a few months, My problem was (and still is) intemittant excess air from the vacuum system, other causes for a P1506
Check you main vacuum line coming of the leftside of the throttle intake (looking at the engine) The line has a large boot that splits into two vacuum lines, My boot had a crack in it that I repaired, and it fixed 90% of the problem.

Other problems that can cause a P1506, Carbon Canister check valve stuck open, its located up behind the spare tire, Vapor Management Valve intermittant stick open, or any vacuum hose with a leak or crack. If you have done any work where you remove the fender liner on the left, there is a large connection there that can come part way open,

Quick Reply: anyone know what code