Iac

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 01:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iac

I just installed a new IAC and gots new spark plugs autolite dbl plats. Gapped at .054 and cleaned the throttle body. do i need to disconect my battery for 30 min to reset it to the computer? its running fine and no knocks anymore but its sounding kinda different. does this make sence?

Old 10-30-2005, 10:12 AM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Your ok to go. Would you not 'expect' something a bit different just like putting new shock on in place of old ones.

Old 10-30-2005, 12:58 PM
I'd recommend resetting your ECM. It doesn't know that you replaced the IAC, and is going on the parameters it's learned to use for the old one. It's a good idea to reset the ECM any time you replace an actuator.

You don't have to wait for 30 minutes, though. Disconnect the negative battery cable, and then turn on the headlight switch for 30 seconds. This will drain the capacitors. Turn the switch off, and reconnect the battery cable.

After you reset the ECM, you should do a simple relearn procedure:
1) Start the engine, and allow it to idle for 1 minute.
2) Shut it off, and wait 10 seconds.
3) Start the engine, and turn on the headlights on high, and your a/c, with the fan on high, and let it idle for 1 minute.
4) Turn all the accessories off, and turn the engine off, and wait 10 seconds.
5) Start the engine, and hold the idle @ 2000 rpm for 1 minute.
6) Shut it off, and wait 10 seconds.
7) Start the engine, and turn on the headlights on high, and your a/c, with the fan on high, and hold the idle @ 2000 rpm for 1 minute.
8) Turn all the accessories off, and turn the engine off, and wait 10 seconds.

This is the best way to relearn the ECM, but you should take a 10 minute test drive afterwards to make sure all is well.

Old 10-30-2005, 10:35 PM
thanks dude

Originally Posted by PKRWUD
I'd recommend resetting your ECM. It doesn't know that you replaced the IAC, and is going on the parameters it's learned to use for the old one. It's a good idea to reset the ECM any time you replace an actuator.

You don't have to wait for 30 minutes, though. Disconnect the negative battery cable, and then turn on the headlight switch for 30 seconds. This will drain the capacitors. Turn the switch off, and reconnect the battery cable.

After you reset the ECM, you should do a simple relearn procedure:
1) Start the engine, and allow it to idle for 1 minute.
2) Shut it off, and wait 10 seconds.
3) Start the engine, and turn on the headlights on high, and your a/c, with the fan on high, and let it idle for 1 minute.
4) Turn all the accessories off, and turn the engine off, and wait 10 seconds.
5) Start the engine, and hold the idle @ 2000 rpm for 1 minute.
6) Shut it off, and wait 10 seconds.
7) Start the engine, and turn on the headlights on high, and your a/c, with the fan on high, and hold the idle @ 2000 rpm for 1 minute.
8) Turn all the accessories off, and turn the engine off, and wait 10 seconds.

This is the best way to relearn the ECM, but you should take a 10 minute test drive afterwards to make sure all is well.
thanks i will try this method

Quick Reply: Iac