Good engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Good engine?

Is a 1996 4.9 I6 a good engine or is it sh*t? I've heard both. Like to know what you think.

Old 10-29-2005, 11:08 PM
its a good engine depending on what you plan on using it for.

Old 10-30-2005, 02:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4.9 is awesome for most things

The inline 6 is a great motor-- naturally balanced and way overbuilt. It will last practically forever. It has a lot of low-end torque (I can put mine in 5th gear at 10 mph, give it no gas, and it accelerates!) It is however NOT a speedy engine in stock form especially with an automatic.

long story short, if you want a long-lasting reliable low-rpm brute of a motor, the 4.9 is perfect. It will do anything you can ask it to except rev. Slow & steady wins the race. If you want quick, you might look elsewhere-- or be prepared for extensive modifications!

check out fordsix.com for more information than you ever wanted to know. Note also if you are into modifying, go with 95 or older, the 96 is (I hear) harder to modify.

Old 10-30-2005, 09:39 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
The "mighty 300" is the best ford engine ever made. I am sad that ford stopped it after 30 years of being the most relyable truck motor. Also sad that the only 300 I own is tucked away and rebuilt up in the shed waiting for something to put it in.

Rivaling diesels for off the line torque, it is a beast. If you have water, oil, or gas, it WILL run. Easy to work on and fix if needed. You might not be the fastest truck up the hill, but you will get there.

96s have OBDII so it is usually harder to modify if your state has emissions testing.

Favorite quote of mine is "drive softly, but carry a big six..."

Adrianspeeder

Old 10-30-2005, 01:12 PM
Agreed. IMO, it's the best overall engine Ford ever built, especially for trucks. But that's part of the point: it's a truck engine. If you want to hot rod around town, or get great gas mileage, forget it. With the torque coming in so quickly, and the right rear gears, you'll beat anyone across the intersection, but from there you'll be seeing taillights. They are significantly quicker with a 5 speed, but have a much higher towing capacity with an automatic.

Quick Reply: Good engine?