Pulley ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulley ?

Does anyone know if I need to know something special that I might come across while doing my pullies. Any little tips or specail tool I might need, I havent looked at the fans but will they be in the way?

Old 10-19-2005, 09:08 AM
A harmonic balancer puller and an IMPACT WRENCH.

I tried doing an efan and pully install this weekend....I got the efans on, but not the pullies

I couldn't get the crank bolt off to save my life. Almost bought an impact driver/wrench, but the cheapest one I could find was 129. I might take it to a shop today to get the bolt off and do the 10 minute install for me. I already have the clutch fan outta there.

I even had a buddy helping me. No matter what we did, we couldn't stop the crank pully from moving...oh well.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:23 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi King - others ...

You don't need an impact wrench. My service manual said to try a Large screwdriver to 'jam' the starter gear ring on the bellhousing. There's a covered access hole you open near the bottom - you can see the teeth.

Do that, & use a looog handled 1/2" or 3/4" breaker bar, an off it comes.

Get your buddy to hold the screwdriver if he's available.

It's what I did. A snap. 'Course, I'm also a big, hairy long-armed beast.

Cheers
Grog

Old 10-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi King - others ...

You don't need an impact wrench. My service manual said to try a Large screwdriver to 'jam' the starter gear ring on the bellhousing. There's a covered access hole you open near the bottom - you can see the teeth.

Do that, & use a looog handled 1/2" or 3/4" breaker bar, an off it comes.

Get your buddy to hold the screwdriver if he's available.

It's what I did. A snap. 'Course, I'm also a big, hairy long-armed beast.

Cheers
Grog
no sh17?!?!

So there is a cover on the pulley itself? What repair manual? Is there pics? I may have to pick that up.

Old 10-19-2005, 11:22 AM
oh, and how hard is it to use the harmonic balancer puller? I can barely see down there. Can you reach down from the top, or do you have to get under the truck to do it? I may have to take my skid plate off????

Old 10-19-2005, 12:06 PM
also can I run the pullies with out my program to bumb up the idle?

Old 10-19-2005, 12:17 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Okay - here goes:

King:
No chit.
The cover is on the bellhousing, behind the engine. Pop it off( mine was a rubber thingie) to expose the starter ring gear teeth. Found this in my POS Chilton's book.

Puller is easy to use. Watch out for any leftover washers on the bolt hole - the conical part of the puller shaft will press on that instead of the crank end if you don't remove it, and you'll never get that thing off.

I accessed mine from the bottom. Could have from the top as well, since I had the fan and shroud & stuff out prepping for my efan install, but it was easier to just lie down.

I had no skid plate to remove.

noname05:

Sure - I did for a bit before my tunes arrived - my lights dimmed a bit at idle, but I don't have a really high-amperage audio system. Best to get the idle bump, though.

Hope this helps you guys. Good luck with your mods.

Cheers
Grog

Quick Reply: Pulley ?