Sluggish!!??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sluggish!!??

OK! So i realize that 98,000 is alot of miles. My 98 f-150 has never had a code come up nor had any engine problems. All maintenance is current. I am still having a problem with the truck not having the power it used to. Are my injectors bad? and if so would a code come up? Do I have a bad o2 sensor going bad? Any ideas gentlemen? The truck runs great and idols perfect. My gas milage is down a bit and my towing is off a bit. Torque converter maybe??
Help me out here. Mods include: Dual exhaust, K&N FIPK

Old 10-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, start with the basics. Has it been tuned up recently? Air filter okay? Changed the fuel filter recently? PCV and EGR systems working normally? Cleaned the EGR ports lately?

Old 10-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Would using Seafoam through the brake booster hose clean the EGR ports? If not then whats the best method to do this?

Old 10-02-2005, 06:17 PM
sluggish truck fix (maybe)

I have had problems with my 97 F150 being sluggish too but a quick tune up( if you call 3 hours on changing plugs quick) and clean up or replace any filter that might restrict fuel or airflow and she is running like new again.

Old 10-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Running Seafoam though will help your truck run better, but it won't clean out the EGR ports if they are totally clogged with carbon. You can't see if the ports are clogged without taking the entire TB off either. I did mine a few weeks ago, one port was 100% clogged the other 30%. I ran seafoam through two times prior to doing this. Although my mileage still sucks, I did notice a difference in performance afterwards. Set aside a good couple hours because it is a job, do a search on cleaning EGR ports and follow the instructions.

Old 10-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Location: Spokane WA (that's Spo-Can dumbass) and NO I'm not close to Seattle.
Sounds like it's time to start doing all that maint. these trucks call for, I have a 97 with 120000 miles and have been playing catch up from the previous owners lack of tune ups. Some things I've done, clean the EGR ports (totaly plugged) clean the MAF, new fuel filter (couldn't blow air through it) new plugs/wires (had a code) K-N, Sea Foam (and a few others that aren't relevant to this thread) O2 sensors are next.
All of these fixes can be done by a person of average mechanical ability, especialy if you search this site for the correct way to do them, I have and it's saved me hundreds if not thousands of $

Old 10-03-2005, 09:06 PM
I have not cleaned the MAF sensor, I was told not to touch this part as it is can be damaged. All others parts and pieces have been cleaned or replaced (plugs, wires , coil packs, K&N FIPK, Egr ports, fuel filter.). I dont have a fault code for my O2 sensors do I still need to replace???

Trending Topics

Old 10-05-2005, 12:17 PM
MAF is easy to clean,, just buy a can of CRC QD Electronic Cleaner and spray the crap out of it!

Old 10-05-2005, 03:10 PM
Suspended
The MAF is easy to clean. Just make sure the engine is cold and make sure you disconnect the neg. battary cable. Than spray it with QD Electrical Cleaner. Allow to thourghly dry and put all back togather. Just did this to my 97 this morning and WOW, what a diffrence.

Quick Reply: Sluggish!!??