5.4 plug change, not that bad.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 plug change, not that bad.

I changed the plugs on my 5.4 yesterday & it was not as bad as so many post make it out to be. I guess with all the instructional post & many hints I was properly prepared to tackle the job. A full assortment of 1/4 & 3/8 flex joints & different extentions helped more than anything. My new Sears 7 mm flex socket fell apart as I was approaching the 2nd coil pack I had to use it on. I guess the pin came out & the socket part fell off, weird. Luckily, I had a 1/4 flex joint to put a reg socket on. The flex socket would have helped on the drivers side on the middle 2 coils, it just took a little longer w/ out it. It took about 2 hours including a few breaks & parental duties. Maybe one hour next time if my booster box doesn't keep slipping out from under my feet. A plug socket w/ the retainer and a reg socket were handy for retraction. I used the air comp. to blow the grit off the eng. & out of the plug holes. I will clean the eng. next time.Now maybe I can get better than 13.5 mpg w/ the original plugs out of it.
Good luck thanks for all the tips from previous posters.

Quick Reply: 5.4 plug change, not that bad.