Big Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Help Needed

so anyways i found myself in a 12ft. drainage ditch on friday night after i blew a tire. water was half way up my pass. side door, my drivers side was not in the water. pickup sat in the water for around 2 hours till i could find someone to pull me out... don't remember if i shut the pickup off or if it died it's self. but i dropped the oil out of it acouple days ago and it was full with gas. so i put some fresh oil in and drained it and put some more fresh stuff in. don't dare try and start it till i figure out what else i should do to make sure i don't hatch it... any help would be awesome... it's a 02 f-150 with a 5.4 thanks guys

Old 09-06-2005, 10:54 PM
pull the air breather assemble off and check to see if the throttle body is wet. pull the manifolds off and see if there is any water in them.

Old 09-07-2005, 12:51 AM
That is good advice. Check everyhting out, if all is well pull the fuel pump fuse and turm the motor over to push any oil out that my have leaked past the valve seals, and then fire it up. If the is water in your air intake, pull all the plugs and turn the motor over to get rid of the water. Buy new plugs and fire it up..good luck to ya.

P.S.- If the exhaust is under water, try not to shut the truck off..

Old 09-07-2005, 12:09 PM
another method is a shop vac with an attachment small enough to fit a peice of water hose over it... pull the plugs n stick the water hose down the socket and suck up any water in there if any...

Old 09-07-2005, 01:31 PM
re

thanks guys i was hopefully going to try and work on it tonight after work, i was talking to some other guys around here just to get some thoughts, and they thought if i hit the key and the starter didn't engage but there was juice to the starter, like if it clicked once.that i might have some bigger problems like a bent rod or somthing. are they correct saying that? but i like i said i hope to pull the plugs out tonight and see what i see.

Old 09-07-2005, 02:22 PM
You're engine doesn't have any rods, it's overhead cam. But just follow these guys advise and see what happens, and if the starter just click it's probably because it is full of water too.

Old 09-07-2005, 03:56 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Poter,
You do have rods, all engines do. You don't have push rods. Rods connect the piston to the crank.
I don't know why you would have gas in the oil. Are you sure it wasn't water (the oil will appear milky). Pull the plugs, disconnect the fuel pump fuse (under the hood fuse panal) then turn over the motor. If it turns over then you probably did not damage the engine. Crank it a while and if there is any water in the intake it will come out. Then new plugs in, replace the fuel pump fuse and try to start the engine. If it doesn't start then contact your insurance company. This is covered by insurance, this is not considered a normal mechanical failure.
You may want to contact them anyway, any water damage to the inside of the truck should be covered.
Good luck.

Old 09-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by WLF
Poter,
You do have rods, all engines do. You don't have push rods. Rods connect the piston to the crank.
I don't know why you would have gas in the oil. Are you sure it wasn't water (the oil will appear milky). Pull the plugs, disconnect the fuel pump fuse (under the hood fuse panal) then turn over the motor. If it turns over then you probably did not damage the engine. Crank it a while and if there is any water in the intake it will come out. Then new plugs in, replace the fuel pump fuse and try to start the engine. If it doesn't start then contact your insurance company. This is covered by insurance, this is not considered a normal mechanical failure.
You may want to contact them anyway, any water damage to the inside of the truck should be covered.
Good luck.
+1 lol just pray the deductable isnt to much. but hopefully all is well with your engine

Old 09-14-2005, 04:06 PM
re

yea i'm sure it wasn't water in the oil. it was gas. pulled all the plugs and the fuel pump fuse, hit the key and the starter just clicked once... it wasn't like the battary was dead, i hit the key and the starter sounded like it couldn't engage. anyother help?????

Old 10-18-2005, 02:15 PM
well got it running and it was really ticking bad. and smoking so i ran it down the road still ticked... had a buddy come over and he thought maybe the crank was bad so i took it to town, and sure enuff the it was the crank, well insurance is putting in used motor, is there anything else i should have them look at as long as insurance is picking up the tab? diffs? and i suppose maybe some of the power stuff, locks windows, anything else?

Old 10-19-2005, 09:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 02sport4x4
You're engine doesn't have any rods, it's overhead cam. But just follow these guys advise and see what happens, and if the starter just click it's probably because it is full of water too.
ROFL.... Of course you do.... Unless the engine happens to be in a Mazda RX7 or RX8. (Wankel Rotary Engines have no rods)

-Joe

Quick Reply: Big Help Needed