Under hood temps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Under hood temps?

My still question for the day - how hot does it get under your hood... let's say the most extreme day - 100+ degrees out and your on a long commute or just sitting in traffic? This isn't the internal engine temp, I'm talking teh engine bay itself... or various parts on the engine.. intake manafold, etc...

I thought about buying one of those cool no-touch thermometers but figured I'd try you clowns first. Anyone know? 175, 200, 250?

Old 08-29-2005, 04:44 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Why would you expect clowns to know anything?

Old 08-29-2005, 04:46 PM
I'm hoping the clowns up here are smerter than the goons in the '04 & GD forums...

Me thinks I'm just gonna buy one of those fancy thermo-thingies.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
The clowns in here are the same goons in the GD forum. You should know that!

Old 08-29-2005, 04:52 PM
I figured smart folks hung out at the top of the forum list.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by dzervit

+1 well at idle the avg intake temperature is 150F with stock air intake from the factory... so your normal under hood temps will be around 170-180 or more depending on how hot it is outside and how hot ur engine runs

Old 08-29-2005, 05:02 PM
We do.

I can check my engine bay temp with my heat gun at work tomorrow. my guess would be around 300 by the exhaust manifold but the air is moving because the fan and so the average temp would be alot lower.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Faster150
+1 well at idle the avg intake temperature is 150F with stock air intake from the factory... so your normal under hood temps will be around 170-180 or more depending on how hot it is outside and how hot ur engine runs
[rant]

No way is my IAT around 150, its normally around the outside tempature or a little over and i drive in 110F (summer) & 30F (winter)*

*that was datalogged when i had my tuner so dont argue with me because i could care less what you think and what my truck acually does.

[/rant]

Old 08-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
The clowns in here are the same goons in the GD forum. You should know that!
Did someone call me? Dammit D, I'm busy in the GD forum...no time for your silly questions. Ever think of...

Old 08-29-2005, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by lees99f150
I can check my engine bay temp with my heat gun at work tomorrow. my guess would be around 300 by the exhaust manifold but the air is moving because the fan and so the average temp would be alot lower.
That would be great! My main concern is the top of the block... I'm curious if I can wrap my AF1 tube with dynamat. It's supposed to be good to 300... I know it's safe to do the hood so it shouldn't be an issue on the tube or heat shield.. but I'm curious to know real-world temps.

Thanks again!

Old 08-30-2005, 02:07 AM
Originally Posted by asinatra
[rant]

No way is my IAT around 150, its normally around the outside tempature or a little over and i drive in 110F (summer) & 30F (winter)*

*that was datalogged when i had my tuner so dont argue with me because i could care less what you think and what my truck acually does.

[/rant]

ford computers dont lie.. that was the IAT of a 4.0L exploder me and dad we working on.. had some fuel problems so we hooked up WDS to check fuel pressure and everything else that is monitored on out vehicles and the IAT was 138-146... this was just after test drive and idling in shop with 2 massive fans blowing on it radiator fan spinning and AC on... with stock air intake breathing from the fender and new filter. outside temp was 103F that day

i took my chip out since gas prices are about to spike up soon... and ill check tomorrow see what my IAT is and see if i can get a pic for the non beleivers

Old 08-30-2005, 02:11 AM
That would be great! My main concern is the top of the block... I'm curious if I can wrap my AF1 tube with dynamat. It's supposed to be good to 300... I know it's safe to do the hood so it shouldn't be an issue on the tube or heat shield.. but I'm curious to know real-world temps.

Thanks again!

go to lowes get some of the aluminum heat sheilding in the heating and insulating isle its lik 15 bucks for like 20 ft or so its aluminum and is what ive seen others use if not u can spend big bucks and get some peel n stick heat sheilding that diesels use. or some header wrap will work to. but open air filter is going to suck in hot air so insulating the outside of the tube wont make much of a difference. intaking air from outside the engine compartment is the best place which is why all fords come stock breathing from the fender or behind the headlight

Old 08-30-2005, 03:39 AM
I bought a household remote temp gauge from Radio Shack with 3 remotes. I put one in the horse trailer to see if I was cooking the ponies in this 100+ weather here in San Diego, one behind the grill at the left front headlight and one inside my stock air intake to see if the IAT was sending the correct temp to my ScanGauge. In the morning with the ign on but not running the IAT and 2 remotes and the base in the cab were all within 1 degree of each other at 65F. I did not have the trailer. Around noon in stop & go traffic the remote inside the intake and the IAT gave the same temps ranging 110-115 while the remote in the grill said 95. On the freeway after 10 minutes the IAT and intake remote showed 98 and the grill still said 95. I stopped for lunch and the truck sat in the sun. When I started it the grill showed 120, the IAT and Intake showed 128 and the freakin cab showed 107. When I started up the IAT dropped to 115 in minutes but the grill because of all the hot metal stayed at 120 for a while then dropped to 100 but the IAT stayed at 115. The engine coolant temp stayed at 193 morning and evening and 198 was the hottest at noon per the ScanGauge. Just my data for what it's worth. I'm sure that the metal parts in the engine compartment are hotter but these temps are for the air moving thru to the throttle body.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:02 AM
Originally Posted by fasterhorses
I bought a household remote temp gauge from Radio Shack with 3 remotes. I put one in the horse trailer to see if I was cooking the ponies in this 100+ weather here in San Diego, one behind the grill at the left front headlight and one inside my stock air intake to see if the IAT was sending the correct temp to my ScanGauge. In the morning with the ign on but not running the IAT and 2 remotes and the base in the cab were all within 1 degree of each other at 65F. I did not have the trailer. Around noon in stop & go traffic the remote inside the intake and the IAT gave the same temps ranging 110-115 while the remote in the grill said 95. On the freeway after 10 minutes the IAT and intake remote showed 98 and the grill still said 95. I stopped for lunch and the truck sat in the sun. When I started it the grill showed 120, the IAT and Intake showed 128 and the freakin cab showed 107. When I started up the IAT dropped to 115 in minutes but the grill because of all the hot metal stayed at 120 for a while then dropped to 100 but the IAT stayed at 115. The engine coolant temp stayed at 193 morning and evening and 198 was the hottest at noon per the ScanGauge. Just my data for what it's worth. I'm sure that the metal parts in the engine compartment are hotter but these temps are for the air moving thru to the throttle body.
different air content and moisture content in cali then in texas.. also it gets hotter here...

Old 08-30-2005, 07:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Faster150
Upgrade the crack / glue / paint / whatever you are sniffing.

A stock Explorer should be pulling it's air from the factory intake, which would be pulling in the cooler air from outside the truck. MAYBE a couple of degrees over ambient, but no way it was 150F. As far as running 170-180 under the hood, only if you are sitting in the Sahara, with no fan...

If it was reading 150F at the IAT, you have a faulty IAT sensor or a bad computer.

Steve (sscully) once posted a nice write-up about the underhood temps, actually measured and datalogged in his SuperCrew. When the truck was sitting still, the temp would climb some, but, after it started moving the temps would drop to within a degree or two of ambient.

IAT2 temps on the Lightning motor can get in the 150F range, but that is after the supercharger compresses the air.

Quick Reply: Under hood temps?