PLEASE HELP:Starter prob.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLEASE HELP:Starter prob.

I really need some help here. I have searched all over and cant find much info on this. When I go to start my truck one of 2 things happens. Either the starter wont disengage and the starter rattles in the flywheel, or the starter just clicks. I have replaced the starter/silonoid twice, replaced the silonoid on the fire wall incase its not releasing, and placed a shim on the starter. The only thing I can think of is the starter is binding up in the flywheel and wont release. Any input would be great as im at the end of my rope here.

Old 07-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Make sure you didn't cross the power cable from the battery and the one from the alternator on the starter relay. I did one like that one day, chased my tail for hours before I noticed. While the engine's running, the alternator is constantly supplying power to the start terminal on the relay.

Old 07-03-2005, 08:34 PM
the cables cant be crossed because it started without me doing anything. I read a little about piston slap and hydro lock and was wondering how I could rule out if the problem is the starter or hydrolock

Old 07-03-2005, 08:52 PM
It sounds like it may be the solenoid on the starter is sticking. The contacts in it arc and stick, sometimes it may stick open or may stick closed. You can take the starter off and get it tested.

Old 07-05-2005, 04:50 PM
I was having the same TYPE problem as you for a couple of months. Come to find out, my hot wire to the starter had come loose. I tightened up the nut and have had no more problems since. Sometimes, it's just the simple things that make you want to pull your hair out.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP:Starter prob.