lightning motor in explorer sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lightning motor in explorer sport

Got a great deal on an 01 lightning motor W/ all neccesity's, want to put it in the Wife's Explorer Sport.Do ya'll think this would be better done at a rod shop? I have the knowledge but would have to find A location to do it myself. It is only cuase I have it that I am thinking about doing this, Plus it would really be a FUUUNNNNN toy to drive, could you imagine the faces on the Camaro and F-Bird guy's and even Mustang owners when they got blowed away by an Explorer.

Old 05-31-2005, 09:51 PM
I don't know what year Explorer you have, but there is no way a 5.4 will fit in the "old" style Explorers - I had one. Now the new style one is possible as I have the 4.6 in mine, but you are surely buying into a big project. I will assure you that the 5r55 tranny will not tolerate the horsepower you can make with forced induction 5.4. Perhaps you have already considered this.

I would recommend just installing a good Eaton blower on top of the 4.6 which is already there, save the grief of cobbling everything together, save the hassle of the new pcm and wiring harness, and then address the weak tranny issue. There's no reason you can't get 400+ hp out of a supercharged 4.6. Good luck!

enb

Old 06-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Being an Explorer "Sport" there is no optional 4.6 V-8. The Sport is a 2-door and is based off of the previous generation Explorer. I don't know if the 5.4 will fit, but i'm sure with enough modifications anything is possible....Just do it!

Old 06-01-2005, 08:47 PM
I dont know if it will fit, but anything is possible with enough money and enough profanity.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Cav,

Since that Explorer Sport is the old design, then you should take a look at getting a deal on a 5.0 motor which will fit. You can make plenty of hp with a modified 5.0.

If you look at both of those engines from the end, you will see the 5.0 is narrower than the new modular motors.

Good luck

enb

Quick Reply: lightning motor in explorer sport