1989 F150, problems keeping running

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 F150, problems keeping running

Hey, I'm new to these fourms, and just yesterday I acquired a 1989 F150 from a friend's dad. The only problem with it is its a bit rusty, and its been sitting in the same place for the past 3-ish years. So, we went down to get it yesterday anyways, and connected everything, and it tried to start up, but it didn't have gas. So, we put some gas in it, and my friend put some gas in the carburetor to give it a kick start. We tried it, and it started up fine. And then, it died.

So, we did the same thing again, starts up, and dies. It doesn't run unless you're pushing down the gas, which really sucks for braking. So, I know theres most likely a million things that could have gone wrong, and we're going to have the timing on everything checked, and rewire the electrical system today. But, my question is, is there anything you guys could think of that would do this?

Thanks.

Old 05-11-2005, 04:02 AM
Alright, I guess no one will reply then.

Old 05-11-2005, 04:55 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
idle control

Old 05-11-2005, 10:17 AM
On an 89 thats been sitting for three years and had no gas in it, you're lucky you got that out of it. There are so many things it could be. After three years any gas that was left anywhere would have turned to varnish most likely. You said put gas in the carborator.... 89's where all EFI if I am not mistaken so sounds like an engine swap has happened at some point. If it is the carbed the carb is probably all varnished up and gummed up. There are just endless possiblities are endless but I would start with the fuel system and work my way around.

Last edited by WVtrucker; 05-11-2005 at 10:19 AM.

Quick Reply: 1989 F150, problems keeping running