Engine keeps cutting out! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine keeps cutting out! Help!

Three months ago I bought a 1997 F150 4.6 extended cab XLT, sadly with a heap of miles on it (143,000) but I love it. Great condition, great price and up until now it's run beautifully.

I've since added another 1500 miles but this week I noticed a rattle under it's hood when I had to give it some extra gas and then yesterday she was sounding a bit louder. I then headed out later that day but got nowhere as she kept stalling on me. I'd have to give it some gas to start but as soon as I released the gas the engine cuts out. There's also fluid coming out of the exhaust. Have I killed her?

I know little to nothing about cars/trucks/engines, just a truck lover from the UK who is living in Toronto and in need of a heads up before I call a mechanic! Does anyone know what I'm looking at? If you do, how deep am I going to have dig into my pocket to make her well again (in US or Candian dollars)

If anyone can shed some light I'b be truly grateful! Thanks.

Old 04-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine

My 1993 did the same thing. I bought it used. Turns out there was a recall on the truck which was never performed. I took mine to the dealer and they fixed it for free. It was the fuel pressure regulator I think they said was causing the problem. It runs good now. You might check to see if there is still a recall on your truck.

There was on my 1993 and I took it to the Ford dealer just two months ago and they honored the recall.

I hope this helps you.

Lee

Quick Reply: Engine keeps cutting out! Help!