Resetting the Computer Module?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 06:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resetting the Computer Module?

To All -

I have read a lot of posts regarding resetting the computer module by unhooking the battery. I have some questions:

1. I have a '95 F150 XLT with the 5.0 engine. Does this advice apply to this model year?
2. If it does apply, exactly what is lost in the computer when it is reset? I have read things like former driving patterns related to transmision shifting and control and shift points.

The reason I ask is simply because I don't like the way my truck (4W70R transmission - 3.08 ratio) shifts into OD when going 65-70 MPH and going up slight inclines, with no load in the truck. I am most concerned with effeciency and fuel economy. Will resetting the computer - if my truck has one - help this out?

Thanks!
John

Old 03-22-2005, 08:09 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
1. Yes

2. All values in the KAM (Keep Alive Memory) will be erased. Thhis includes fuel trim tables, idle settings, calculated shift points, etc.

You have a 3.08 rear end. In OD with that axle, there isn't enough power to drive out of a wet paper bag at that speed.

Steve

Old 03-22-2005, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the reply.

If I do erase the KAM, what will this do from a performance and economy perspective? I am getting almost 15MPG in city driving. Is there a chance this would improve? Or, could it get worse? What are fuel trim tables? Over how long of a period does the KAM accept new input/experience to build it's profile? This is all news to me, and I do appreciate the help!

Thanks,
John

Old 03-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
John

Old 03-22-2005, 07:36 PM
It probably isnt worth it. The computer constantly adjusts to your driving habits, so more than likely things will just end up right back where they are now...

It's worth a try, but I doubt it will help.

Old 03-22-2005, 08:18 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My owners manual says it takes 100 miles after a reset occerence before it has learned everything. I was tinkering with mine 2 weeks ago and had unhooked the battery for a while. For 2 days afterwards the performance and fuel mileage sucked while it was in default. Now I am back to normal and have a little harder shifts as I had not set it to my driving since I bought the truck.

Quick Reply: Resetting the Computer Module?