2001 F-150 SCrew won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 F-150 SCrew won't start

Parked it in my driveway running fine, spins fast but won't start now. The theft light does blink very fast when trying to start or with the switch on.

I have tried two different keys that both worked until yesterday, sprayed a little starter fluid into the air intake to see if it was a fuel problem, held the accelerator part way down to see if that helped, and disconnected the battery for a few minutes to see if that reset anything.

Fuel pressure seems pretty anemic after spinning it over, only one little spurt that goes maybe a couple of inches when I press down on the bleed valve.

Any ideas?

About 115,000 miles on it.

Hu

Old 12-05-2004, 12:29 PM
sounds like some how your transponder keys are screwed up.. did you put them by a magnet? otherwise sounds like the trucks theft system might be screwed up! take a door key (with out a trasponder) and try and see if it sounds the same..if it does then you know its the truck...if not its the key.

Old 12-05-2004, 12:37 PM
I reviewed earlier threads before posting my question. I saw somewhere that the truck wouldn't even turn over if it were the anti-theft system at fault. Any idea if this is accurate?

I'm on foot without a truck door key at the moment but I'll try to have one cut this afternoon. Nothing unusual happened to either of my sets of keys so I am fairly sure that they didn't get zapped by a major field but checking with a door key is easy enough.

Thanks,
Hu

Old 12-05-2004, 01:12 PM
Re: 2001 F-150 SCrew won't start

Originally posted by Shootingarts

Fuel pressure seems pretty anemic after spinning it over, only one little spurt that goes maybe a couple of inches when I press down on the bleed valve.
I think you hit the problem--fuel pressure. Sounds to me like your pump quit or is pushing very low pressure. When you hit the bleed it should have bathed you in fuel. there is a relay box I believe on the driver side fender that has a fuel pump relay. If it's not here look for it, Ford moves these damn things around. That's where it was on my buddies Explorer. Once that relay goes your stuck, and it will fool you into thinking pump. If the relay checks OK then connect a fuel pressure tester to the bleed valve and crank the engine. It should read upwards of 40-50 lbs. of pressure.

If all this checks OK, then it's time to read codes and go from there (I would actually start here first).

Good luck! Hope this somewhat helps.

Old 12-05-2004, 01:22 PM
It does look like fuel pressure problems and probably not the relay since I swapped out the fuel pump and PCM relays, which happened to be the same part number, without getting any improvement.

Working on the truck and passing by the computer every little bit for ideas. Thanks to everyone and please keep them coming. This is my only daily driver dead in the driveway.

Hu

Last edited by Shootingarts; 12-05-2004 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is an inertia switch located on the passenger side above the kick pad check to see if this was set off somehow also check the fuses in the relay box ther is a yellow fuse specific to the fuel pump in that box.

When you cycle the key you should be able to her the fuel pump run for app 5 seconds. hope you find the problem.

Old 12-05-2004, 04:53 PM
Problem solved it seems. A mechanic who is a friend of a friend said that the computer had lost it's settings and to just turn the key on and let things sit until the light stopped flashing, five or ten minutes or so. That fixed the problem.

I had checked the inertia switch repeatedly, fuses, and relays. Checked for carbon build up and a handful of other things too. My face is a bit red at the moment. I had swapped batteries a week ago. Why it would take a week to lose settings I don't have a clue. I'll just have to wait and see if this is the end of the story.

Hu

Trending Topics

Old 12-05-2004, 11:58 PM
hey at least you know everything works and you have a lot of clean parts now

Old 12-06-2004, 06:44 PM
I had the same problem with my last F150,It turned out to be the fuel pump.It would fire over and then die.

Quick Reply: 2001 F-150 SCrew won't start