K&N Intake Filter Kits

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N Intake Filter Kits

Does anyone know the difference between the 77 series kit and the FIPK kit other than the aluminum tube?

It doesnt appear that the 77 kit is SMOG legal in California where the FIPK kit is. I would much rather get the cheaper gray 77 kit and paint it to match my truck.

Old 12-03-2004, 03:58 AM
Ok, since no one truely knows, how easy is it to install and then revert back to stock for when I have to go for my smog?

Old 12-03-2004, 05:22 AM
I cant imagine you would fail for a CAI on a smog test unless they do a visual under the hood? if so what a shi@@y rule.

Old 12-03-2004, 09:06 AM
I believe you would be able to convert it back in about 30 minutes. And it will probably take less time the next time you have to do it. You can check out the installation instructions on K&N's website.

Old 12-03-2004, 01:54 PM
Thanx.

And yes, it is a very stupid regulation California has. They do not want you to modify your vehicle in any way. If you do, the company that sells that modified product, has to jump through hoops to get it certified.

They seriously should redo the regulations. They should be more concerned with the what comes out of the tail pipe only instead of everything else.

Old 12-03-2004, 02:49 PM
In California, you do have to undergo a visual inspection. Even if the tail pipe test is passed, you can fail the visual and will have to retest.

This happened to me - I have a smog legal Airaid FIPK, but no certificate of CARB compliance came with the kit. I had a very clean tailpipe test but was failed. I went to the Airaid site and printed up the certificate, taped it onto the FIPK and tested again. You might be able to go to K&N's website and download a copy of the CARB certificate.

Old 12-03-2004, 03:21 PM
I just got off the phone again with K&N. They are currently in the process of getting the 77 series certified. They said that if I were to purchase one now, and the unit does get certification, they will send me a sticker.

But, thats a great idea about borrowing one from the FIPK.

And for the record, they said the FIPG (Gen 2) and the 77 series are exactly the same except for the tube material. Aluminum vs Plastic. And the aluminum is cheaper to make... go figure.

I think I will pick up a gray 77 series, paint it white to match my truck, and then look for a sticker

Trending Topics

Old 12-03-2004, 06:00 PM
Since I am not going to worry about smog legal or not, I have narrowed my choices down to two intakes.

The Street Smart Design FFS2001-F - Carbon Fiber Pattern Cold Air Box, Powerflow Intake Tube, Mass Airflow Adapter, Hardware, RF-1015 Filter

Or the K&N 77 Series in Gray that I can paint to match my truck

Any comments?

Old 12-06-2004, 01:54 PM
Banned for Use of Multiple Usernames
The SSD is a true cold air kit, the K&N is not. Go with the SSD.

Old 05-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Well, I finally picked up the SSD unit. Installation was pretty simple and straight forward. I have gone through one tank of gas so far and I got worse mileage... but I know I was into the pedal a lot more than normal. I hope by my third / fourth tank of gas, I will know if I got any MPG improvement.

I did see a slight gain in power. Its just one of the things I can feel by the seat of my pants. There is slightly more noise coming from the engine compartment... which I like, hence me being on it more.

I hope soon to be painting the throttle body cover, the SSD unit's body, and a couple of other minor things under my hood white to match my truck.

This SSD kit is not smog legal in CA, so I will have to swap back in the stock unit when it becomes time.

Quick Reply: K&N Intake Filter Kits