engine removal hang up

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation engine removal hang up

im trying to take out my 5.0 302 out of my 88 f150 5spd

its hangin up on something, its coming about .5 inches off the tranny so its not bolted to that any more

although its still not moving out completely

my book says

if youre working on a vehicle with a manual tranny the INPUT SHAFT must be completely disengaged from the clutch.

what the hell is the input shaft.. and how do i disengage it .. that has to be the hang up.. i just dont know how to disengage it though

any help is appreciate.

asap ..

thanks

Old 11-07-2004, 09:19 AM
Account Suspended For Violation of Terms of Service
if you dont have the radiator out of the way, you need to do so and pull the engine as far away as you can from the tranny. the input shaft is probably hanging up on the fingers on the pressure plate

Old 11-07-2004, 12:52 PM
i got it out with much coaxing !

any tricks or tips on how to get it back in nicely

im actually going to be taking the fron clip off so i can get the engine out... problems with the hoist/space/hood/ are complicating things!

Old 11-07-2004, 01:10 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
EDIT: spelling

When you reinstall it make sure the splines on the input shaft line up with the splines on the clutch disk. There are 3 ways to do it.
1st. blind luck that they line up and it pops right in.

2nd. Turn the crank shaft while pushing the engine towards the tranny just hard enough so it doesn't damage anything.

3rd. The same as 2 but turning the output shaft of the tranny.

Very important proviso. The tranny must be lined up in the same plane as the engine. It is best to use a jack under the tranny so it can be raised or lowered to properly align with the engine. Failure to line things up properly may lead to clutch failure or even damage.
You did not say if you are replacing the clutch but if you do you will need an alignment tool to center the clutch disk.
While you have it out you should at the very least take the clutch off the fly wheel and inspect it for wear and tear.
Regardless you will need the tool to reinstall the clutch. While you are at it inspect the slave cylinder if equipped or the fork and also the throw out bearing.

Regards

JMC

Last edited by JMC; 11-07-2004 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:12 PM
may i ask why you are removing the engine?

make sure to replace the pilot bearing, throw out bearing, pressure plate, and clutch disk before you put the engine back in. put some grease inside the pilot bearing before reinstalling the engine. when you put the engine back in, try to fit the input shaft through the center of the clutch disk. you may have to rock the engine from side to side to get the splines on the input shaft to line up. when they are started in place, put the engine/trans bolts in, and tighten them up a couple turns at a time to pull the engine and tranny together. good luck with your project!

Old 11-07-2004, 04:05 PM
i threw a rod in the 5.0 ... and i dont have the resources here to rebuild, im also moving from seattle to abq in a week... thats why its crunch time to get this thing going... it really sucks doing it alone, but what can ya do... i got a 5.8 from a donor truck and am replacing the two, takin the 5.0 to abq and rebuilding it there.

thanks for the tips, im going to try and replace what i need on the swaps today, and tomorrow have the 5.8 ready to go in the bay... wish me luck on that.

anyone know about the exhaust? thatll help me before i put it back in...

i was told i need the Ypipe off the 5.8 to put on the 5.0, but the 5,8 only had two down pipes going straight in the cat, and my 5.0 has a Ypipe, so can i just keep the orig ypipe(exhaust) on for the 5.8 ?

oh, the clutch was recently replaced, but ill check for wear, i have a new pilot bearing and fly wheel, i was told thats all i need? any suggestions on installing those, that haynes wont tell me?

thanks for all your help guys

Old 11-07-2004, 07:35 PM
you have to use the flywheel from the 5.8. you can probably get away with the recently replaced clutch componets, but remember its usually a good idea to replace them while everything is handy. i dont have much advise on the y pipe, but it is a good idea to use anti sieze on the bolts that connect the bolts from the y pipe to the place where you put the donut. oh, and if you use the 5.8 flywheel, u MIGHT need the 5.8 clutch disk. before you try to drop the motor in, MAKE SURE THE 5.8 CLUTCH DISK WILL FIT ON YOUR INPUT SHAFT!!!!! if it does not, u'll have to find another transmission. also, make sure the transmission you will be using can take the torture that the 5.8 will give it, unless you can baby it to where you need to go to rebuild the 5.0. If you need anything else, let me know

Quick Reply: engine removal hang up