97 F150 engine wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 F150 engine wont start

Put the key and get power to everything and the engine will crank but is just wont fire and start. Two month ago this happend and after 30 minutes the truck would start. Drove out of town several hours away and later the night the truck did the same thing but even 30 minutes later it would not start. Had the truck towed to a shop and as soon as it was off the tow truck it started. The shop replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the air sensor because both were dirty. I haven't had any more problems until today. The engie wants to crank but just will not fire.

Any clues or suggestion??

Thanks

Old 09-13-2004, 12:42 PM
Start with the basics:

Do you have a spark ? Pull one of the plug leads off ( use a rubber glove if you are picky about electric shock :-) and have someone crank the engine while holding the lead near the block - if you see/hear/feel a spark then you have one of the two elements you need.

Old 09-13-2004, 08:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
First of all,what engine do you have?
There are (3) requirements for an engine to run;
compression,fuel,fire (spark) Do you have the right amount of each?

Old 09-13-2004, 09:38 PM
You didn't mention if the check engine light is on so I guess it hasn't come on. If it was on, it would really help locate the problem by having the codes read. It sure sounds like a loose connection somewhere since the problem is so intermittent.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:31 AM
Guess what it started

Last night after I got home from work it started right up. Then this morning it acted like is wasn't going to start but then it did.

I have the 4.6 V8 engine and the check engine light has never come on. I had the system checked for any codes reporting back two months ago when this first started and everything was ok.

I am at a loss, any clue?

Thanks

Old 09-14-2004, 11:34 AM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is tough once it stopped happening.

I doubt a dead short since that will blow a fuse and nothing after that. Things you can check are:

-Fuse panel, especially the ignition fuses. Just pull them out and clean up the contacts. Some times if a fuse has dirty contacts it can cause intermittent problems. On a 97 those fuses have been in there a long time.

-Check the contact on all electrical connections on the engine that can cause starting problems. Specifically I would check the MAF connection, the coil pacs connections and the crank sensor on the driver's side front of the motor. Unplug each and spray the contacts with some cleaner.

Other then that I think you will have to wait until it does it again; then you can check spark and fuel pressure. I doubt internal engine components would cause intermittent starting problems.

Old 09-14-2004, 12:56 PM
This happened to a friend with a 97 with the 5.4 and it was the Crankshaft Position Sensor. I don't know how to check to see if it is good but we called a mechanic at the local Ford garage and he suggested we replace it.
Bought a new one at Checker Auto Parts for around $30.
The bad part is it is near the front of the engine and the belt and the a/c compressor must come out of the way to get at the bolts. A/C lines stay in place but the compressor is in the way.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:22 PM
There has been a few posts with the same symptoms. The problem usually is the crank position sensor.

Old 09-15-2004, 04:10 PM
Here is the latest

This morning 9/15 it did not start. I checked and cleaned all fuses and no luck. Then I came home for lunch and it still didn't start. Then I checked to see if there was a spark and the first time there was no spark. Then we turned the key again and there was a spark and it started. It is having no trouble starting right now.

Is it the crankshaft position sensor? Is there a way to test for that?

Could it having anything to do with the outside tempature?

Could it be anything in the ignition?

Thanks

Old 09-16-2004, 08:26 AM
WLF
chris97,
Try taking off the connector to the crankshaft position sensor and cleaning it up. I cant see the sensor itself failing then working. It may just be a bad contact at the sensor. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 97 F150 engine wont start