Cranky Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cranky Starter?

Comrades,

I have a 1991 F150 4.9Lt/6 Lariat I have owned since it's birth. Once a year or so I have a perplexing problem!!! When it gets hot and humid (Florida, Summertime, towing trailer) it will begin to make a horrible grinding noise for no reason, and smoke will come out of the underneath of the right side of the truck. When this problem occurs the engine is running, and the auto tranny usually is in park, the engine has been runnining a while, and the starter has not been engaged. It will begin to grind and grind. I have actually been able to take the key out of the ignition at times and the engine will continue to crank and grind!? Starter... replaced. Solenoid on firewall... replaced. Recall on ignition switch... performed. I suspect it is the starter engaging, but it has been suggested that a pully might be locking up too.
Gentlemen, I need knowledge. Dealership service folk I have talked to have not been able to help.

NightHawk

Old 07-08-2004, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STARTER WIRES

SOMETIMES THE STARTER WIRES WILL RUB THE INSULATION OFF AND ARCH ON THE MOTOR OF THE FRAME, COULD CAUSE THE STARTER TO ENGAGE. JUST AN IDEA.

Quick Reply: Cranky Starter?