2000 f-150 fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 06:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 f-150 fuel problem

i bought a f150 and got the truck running, but it run out of gas setting at idle, i put 10 gallons in it but still no fuel up to the rail? fuel shut off is o.k. i noticed my theft light flashing alot and after you crank for a while it goes - - - - - - - but the theft light goes off when you turn key to run. it is sitting on a slope, would this keep the pump from priming? I have NO fuel or pressure to the fuel rail. truck just shut off and will not re start. It Was out of gas im sure, but what has happened? Thanks access

Old 06-25-2004, 09:25 AM
access,

I'd do two things before anything else. First unhook the battery ground for a few minutes to clear the computer, then has the fuel filter ever been changed? (should be done every 30,000 or so miles anyway). While your under the truck changing the fuel filter and have it off, have someone hold a bucket and rubber tube on the open fuel line from the tank and turn the key on briefly to check the pump, I bet you find your problem. (the filter more than likely picked up all the bad stuff from the remains of the empty tank, or the pump over heated from the loss of fuel and rolled over in protest) Did the truck run out of gas at idle and set for quite-awhile before you found it? (pump could have run dry for quite awhile!)

Good luck
keep us posted

Gene

Last edited by triumphman; 06-25-2004 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:40 PM
Do you think the pump burned up? When i turn the switch it sounds like pump is kicking in, but noise is more like from under the hood? will check filter today, thanks access

Old 06-25-2004, 10:09 PM
Running out of gas is one of the most effective ways to burn up a fuel pump. The fuel is the only product that keeps the pump lubricated and cool.

I agree with triumphman that you probably sucked up the crud in the tank and have clogged the fuel filter. I hope that is what is happening.

If you are getting the whrrrrrrrrrrring sound when you turn the key, the pump may be fine.

Let us know if you have fuel at the filter when you turn the key with the lines disconnected.

Once you reconnect everything, don't be surprised if it takes a few seconds of cranking to get the fuel to the engine. I helped a guy with a Honda Accord that had that problem. Once the filter locked up, the engine sucked the line from the filter to the motor bone dry.

Hunt4Fun

Old 06-26-2004, 10:23 AM
Hmmm, I thought the pump was in the tank?

Also I'm sure you are awhere of this, but FWIW never go full throttle during cranking on these fuel injected models, the tpi control will shut the fuel injectors off to protect the motor, crank with no throttle pressure from the foot.

Just for giggles I tried to blown thru the last filter I changed and could not get much thru with "lung pressure"
The new one was no proplem. Of coarse the lung are no comparision to the +50 psi that the fuel pump is working with.

By the way besure to get the tool from Auto Zone or who ever you by your fuel filter from, it's only way you can remove the lines from the fuel filter. They offer a little kit of 3 or 4 different size to fit defferent fuel lines. Only a couple of bucks! They can do a show and tell when you buy it.

Again good luck! And let us know if you have any more questions it's great to help a F-150 buddy.

Gene

Old 06-26-2004, 03:26 PM
when my truck did this, it ended up being the reset switch on the passenger side kick panel.

Old 06-26-2004, 11:15 PM
found problem

O.k. after filter replacement, then pump replacement, I gave up and called the lock smith. Hooked up his s.t.a.r. link and came back my cluster module has gone out!!! Just my luck? The pcm,cluster and key all work together. My cluster is locked out and can not be reset? Plan to replace this week and will post back if problem was solved. Thanks to all's help. access

Trending Topics

Old 06-27-2004, 08:14 AM
triumphman, you are right, the pump is indeed in the tank. I didn't mean to mislead anyone there. My bad. I didn't remember that access had mentioned that the sound he was hearing was under the hood.

access,

Best of luck in solving the problem.

Hunt4Fun

Old 07-16-2004, 11:52 PM
FIXED

Well, The cluster and pcm would not talk to one another so I pulled the pcm out and replaced with a used one and lock smith reset the security and it fired up and runs great....thanks all.....
access. Now I'd like to sale if interested pm me.

Quick Reply: 2000 f-150 fuel problem