How to get codes and what do they mean

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get codes and what do they mean

I have the engine needs service soon light on. I was wondering how do yoiu find out the codes and where can I find out what they mean. I have an 02 F150 KR 4x4 with 5.4.

Old 05-02-2004, 10:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

"Service engine soon" means some interval maintenance should be done. The manufacturer could not fit "Take vehicle to ford for service and bring lots of money, do not pass go, do not collect $200" into the dashboard space.

Just kidding. I hear autozone will read codes for free. The vehicle is usually driveable but some emissions control may be out of specifications.

Last edited by temp1; 05-02-2004 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Re: How to get codes and what do they mean

Originally posted by LINYScrew
I have the engine needs service soon light on. I was wondering how do yoiu find out the codes and where can I find out what they mean. I have an 02 F150 KR 4x4 with 5.4.
This site should help you out a little.

Old 05-03-2004, 01:07 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
LINYScrew,

If your SES light is on it means that an emissions related componant has failed. if you still have warranty left go to the dealer and let them handle it. If not, then like temp1 said have autozone read the code. Post it back here and we will try to help.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 05-03-2004, 01:30 PM
Here is the most complete code list that I have found online.

OBDII codes

If you are out of warranty, the codes can be pulled for free at any Autozone as stated in other replies (except California) and you can search the forums to see what others have done to resolve the code. Remember; don't rely on the code explanation alone. Many times they are a symptom of another problem.

Old 05-03-2004, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. It's still under warranty. I was just trying to avoid the dealer. Had it in about 10 days ago for the same trouble. They said it was the gas cap and replaced it, now the lights are back. I'll let you know what happens. It's just not easy bringing it there, between work and school I have to get a loaner and make an appointment and there not close by. Thanks again!

Old 05-03-2004, 05:04 PM
That sounds a lot like the hard to trace evap gross leak. Check the small, hard evap lines under the hood to ensure they are all connected and look for cracks. Beyond that, I would take it in under the Mfg warranty or Federal emissions warranty. Many items can cause this evap leak and they will actually have to diagnose it this time rather than running a simple pressure test on the cap.

Quick Reply: How to get codes and what do they mean