Engine Help Please---DPFE out Code 401

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 07:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Help Please---DPFE out Code 401

Hey Guys,

I pulled a code 401 and I am replacing my EGR and DPFE sensor. I have searched the boards and cannot find the procedure to change these out. I currently do not have the service manuals and was wondering if someone could post the procedure to do this. Please help, truck is starting to run a little rough and I need to change these this afternoon when my parts are delivered.

Thanks

Old 04-29-2004, 11:08 AM
Both items are simple bolt on application. I believe both have 10MM bolts holding them down and the EGR exhaust tube can be removed with an adjustable wrench. .

On the DPFE sensor, the most important thing to look for is carbon buildup within the hoses. Running a wire hanger through the hoses will ensure the hoses are not clogged with the white carbon that is notorious in these units.

On the EGR, you must clean the ports on the block where the EGR bolts up. This can be done with a can of sensor safe Throttle Body cleaner spray (STP) available at most every auto store and a wire gun barrel metal brush. The bolt holding the exhaust tube underneath the EGR will need broke loose with an adjustable wrench before you unbolt the EGR from the block.

Disconnect the battery to clear the codes and you should be ready to hit the road.

Old 05-01-2004, 10:31 PM
DPFE sensors are covered by Ford, as they have had so many problems with them. It simply plugs into 2 hoses. What year truck? I may be able to help you on a Ford truck manual on CD. E-mail me.
You problem does sound more like the EGR valve itself.

Old 05-02-2004, 01:22 AM
call the dealer on the DPFE because they have an extended warranty on some. i think it was 5 years. that call might save you $75

Old 05-02-2004, 02:33 AM
They are both really not that hard to replace.

The DPFE, as has been said, just has to small (should be 5/8 or 5/16, cant recall which ATM) bolts holding it on, with those two vacuum hoses attached to it.

The EGR can be a PAIN. But it really is just a matter of getting the right angle on it.
My suggestions:
It also might not be a bad idea to take out the rubber/plastic intake stuff...will give you a little more room.
First remove that vacuum hose from the top of the EGR.
You have to take that black plate off that holds the DPFE. It just has a single 10mm bolt on the bottom, remove that bolt, and then remove the two 10mm bolts on the EGR (you'll need a deep socket for the bolt to the front after you get that bolt off and remove that black plate).

Now the EGR should just have the large nut that goes to the exhaust holding it in place. You can try to loosen it as it is, but it more than likely will be stuck pretty good.
Here is what I did to get mine off:
get a really big screwdriver (flat blade or philips, either one), and then prop the end under the EGR, and then use the screwdriver to keep the EGR from moving down as you try to loosin the bolt - I laid the middle of it or so on the little raised areas like where the screw for that black plate came out of. You will need to crawl on top of the truck. Unless you're really tall or really strong, you probably cant do this standing on the ground. Get your wrench so that you can press straight down (or as close as possible to it), and make sure the screwdriver keeps the EGR from going down and breaking/bending that tube.
Mine took a while, but once I finally got a good angle on it, and about 1 turn with the wrench, I could remove the nut by hand.

From here, you will probably need to clean the gasket material off. Mine was crumbled and in pieces and some was stuck to the surface. Also clean the area around the intake adapter. The gasket P/N, if you need one, is:
F6TZ-9D476-DA - cost me $5 at my local "stealership"

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Johngs; 05-02-2004 at 02:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine Help Please---DPFE out Code 401